Saints vs Sheff Utd - Match & Reaction Thread

Lighthouse

Man of the Match v Sheffield United  

178 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match against Sheffield United?

• Alex McCarthy
    • Kyle Walker-Peters
    • Jan Bednarek
    • Jannik Vestergaard
    • Ryan Bertrand
    • Oriol Romeu
    • James Ward-Prowse
    • Stuart Armstrong
    • Theo Walcott
    • Danny Ings
    • Che Adams
    • Nathan Redmond
    • Ibrahima Diallo
    • Dan N'Lundulu

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 15/12/20 at 12:00

58 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

Yeh agree both him and Armstrong were good for this, they got into the no.10 spaces Ralph likes the wide players to drift into and drove at the defenders often getting us free kicks in good spots or creating chances. 

Agree, both Theo and Stuey have become the ‘whipping boys’ lately on this forum but I think they did well today ! Neither is individually world class but do a great job within the structure of the team... 👍

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, SW5 SAINT said:

They are just saying on SSN that we are probably the winners this weekend. When were we last spoken about in those terms regarding the top of the league.......

God, hope the club didn’t hear it. They’ll be bringing out “Winners 12/13 Dec 2020  weekend” tee shirts 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

Bet they do when the stadiums are full and there is more unrest. Even if the woke right-on types protest about it. 

We won a game, we're up to third, and we're playing well.  That's a cue for more of your dog-whistle drivel?

• Like 7

43 minutes ago, Verbal said:

We won a game, we're up to third, and we're playing well.  That's a cue for more of your dog-whistle drivel?

I was responding to someone else who brought up the subject. Also dog whistle lol. I comment on every single game we play and amazingly you can post multiple different things every game and it doesn't just have to be specifically about how we have played! Also didn't your partner ban you from here? 

Edited by hypochondriac
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Teddeer said:

Thought Diallo looked very good in the short time he was on the pitch. Ok, the game was won but he showed enough to suggest he's going to be a big player for us. He made himself available, controlled the ball first touch, passed and moved and generally looked very accomplished. Looking forward to seeing more from him.

I agree.

I’m still slapping myself for writing off a guy as a total screw up, and then watching him become a rock defensively, an attack launcher, and a goalscorer. I don’t know WTF Ralph puts in Vestergaard’s coffee, but I’ll have some of that.

How good are those long diagonals he hits!

6 minutes ago, Suhari said:

Are we still going to sell him to Leicester?

Ha!! There was a time we'd have lined up to drive him up there. He's looking a cracking player now. Great with the ball too, bar one rush of blood today he was pretty much flawless. 

4 minutes ago, egg said:

Ha!! There was a time we'd have lined up to drive him up there. He's looking a cracking player now. Great with the ball too, bar one rush of blood today he was pretty much flawless. 

Yep. What a turnaround. Must've been tough for him at times.

Outstanding professionalism to keep working and improve so much.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, View From The Top said:

Better get used to it as they're not going to stop it whether the EDL types like it or not.

Agree.  Take the knee if you want, don't do it if you want, but I don't understand why people feel the need to boo it.  But then your EDL reference is pretty to-the-point

Just now, Lighthouse said:

Jenas reckons United gave Hojbjerg too much time on the ball today. Expert analysis. 🤔

I had to go back and hear him say that again. Jesus wept how little did he watch that match. Just looking up now and then from his phone at some highlights at a guess. But to name a player that's at another club is baffling.

3 minutes ago, Dry Toast said:

I had to go back and hear him say that again. Jesus wept how little did he watch that match. Just looking up now and then from his phone at some highlights at a guess. But to name a player that's at another club is baffling.

Yeah how disrespectful,  if you're going to call out a player for praise at least choose one who has been employed at the club this season. Absolute waste of time punditry. 

53 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Jenas reckons United gave Hojbjerg too much time on the ball today. Expert analysis. 🤔

Thank god Alex Scott didn’t say it, otherwise this place would have loved to have stuck the boot in. In fact one of the usual suspects who has just posted must be gutted!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, wadesmith said:

Thank god Alex Scott didn’t say it, otherwise this place would have loved to have stuck the boot in. In fact one of the usual suspects who has just posted must be gutted!

She's been decent.Talks a lot of sense. Jenas is crap though. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Contrast  Souness & Evra on sky with the 2 clowns on motd tonight. Horrendous. 

I'll grant you Jenas, but Scott was decent. I appreciate she's a "bird", but judge her on what she says, not her gender. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Teddeer said:

Have to disagree. I thought Theo caused them all sorts of problems with his speed and direct running which opened up space for others. He was a constant threat.

Yeah, this is where different people see different things.  I found Theo frustrating again today. Yes he got in between the lines as I believe is essentially his job as a number 10, but Id like to think a player of his experience would know when to release the ball, which he doesn't and especially when to watch the defensive line and make his run. Thats the thing that bothers me most but its football and we all have our different perspectives. Chuffed with the whole team though, obviously. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hawkswood said:

Yeah, this is where different people see different things.  I found Theo frustrating again today. Yes he got in between the lines as I believe is essentially his job as a number 10, but Id like to think a player of his experience would know when to release the ball, which he doesn't and especially when to watch the defensive line and make his run. Thats the thing that bothers me most but its football and we all have our different perspectives. Chuffed with the whole team though, obviously. 

To be fair to Theo he's only had a few months to get used to a completely new system. What we are doing at the moment seems quite complex and I don't blame him that he isn't entirely up to speed. I still think he makes good contributions. 

Completely dominant performance. Vestergard my MOTM with Che a close 2nd, but the whole team seems to be firing on all cylinders at the moment. I’m confident of a favourable result on Wednesday, although maybe a 1-1 draw. Good to see Redmond hit the ground running - gives Ralph a nice selection problem.

I’m wondering what will happen to Long, Stephens and Obifemi now...will they be sold or put out to loan or perhaps they’re the squad depth needed for a Euro push next season?

43 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

To be fair to Theo he's only had a few months to get used to a completely new system. What we are doing at the moment seems quite complex and I don't blame him that he isn't entirely up to speed. I still think he makes good contributions. 

Yeah  thats fair enough. I know we play a relatively unique system but its his decision making that bothers me and its the sort of decisions that SHOULD come down to experience.  Look, Im more than happy to be proved wrong and I suppose when you look at the options that we had when it comes to signing a forward to cover our current players, it really wasnt a bad decision. Dont get me wrong,  Im really not completely damning him, just a little disappointed at times.

9 hours ago, egg said:

I'll grant you Jenas, but Scott was decent. I appreciate she's a "bird", but judge her on what she says, not her gender. 

Do you know what gender she is then?

She's very good, speaks a lot of sense. Very easy on the eye too, if that isnt a sexist/racist/offensive thing to say these days.

As they said about Theo in commentary his signing at 31 went against the grain of Ralph’s recruitment, but on the flip side for someone who has been played in Ralph’s system straight out of the box says a lot about Theo’s level of intelligence to grasp it, despite years of his footballing being “polluted” from playing elsewhere. Take someone like KWP by comparison when he got sent out to play straight after arrival, he looked like a fish up a tree, when we restarted last season he had taken on board what was required, now if he was out most of us would be crying in our beer. Theo does alright, sometimes still thinks he Is 10 years younger, but for me if there is just one space on the bench and it’s between Long and Walcott I know where my money would be.

What a perfect sub too replacing someone always moving with someone more than capable if he doesn’t think and just plays on instinct. Redmond did exactly that with his goal - he didn’t ponder over it he got on with it.

Poor old Bednarek - he must be seen as a threat in our defence because that must be 4 games on the trot now where at some point the oppos have tried to snap him. 
I reckon I must have been watching Saints for far too long - because I still feel a little on edge even when we are cruising and playing the delightful footie we are right now. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Wonder why he got the gig, can’t think. 

Let's see... ex pro footballer (tick); comfortable in front of the camera (tick); able to express an opinion (tick); minimal knowledge of teams outside the top six (tick).

Seems to fill all the criteria of the modern football pundit. Unless there is something else you're alluding to?

7 minutes ago, itchen said:

I'd just like to nominate Oli McBurnie for man of the match. He took himself out of the game with a spectacular dive, landing on his shoulder.

His great effort has gone remarkably unnoticed.  So here's to you, Oli.

Absolutely!

Talk about instant karma. 

On a serious note, what an absolutely diabolical footballer he is. How on earth is he earning a living at the top level? (I include international football in that) There are players in L2 of a better standard then him.

I'm so enjoying watching Saints at the moment. Vestergard seems to be hugely influential in this set up, and resembles VVD at times. We should tie him down as much as we can to avoid Liverpool or Spurs coming in for him and ruining the party. Hope he's happy at Saints. He's immense. What a turnaround!