Saints vs Sheff Utd - Match & Reaction Thread

Lighthouse

Man of the Match v Sheffield United  

178 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match against Sheffield United?

• Alex McCarthy
    • Kyle Walker-Peters
    • Jan Bednarek
    • Jannik Vestergaard
    • Ryan Bertrand
    • Oriol Romeu
    • James Ward-Prowse
    • Stuart Armstrong
    • Theo Walcott
    • Danny Ings
    • Che Adams
    • Nathan Redmond
    • Ibrahima Diallo
    • Dan N'Lundulu

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 15/12/20 at 12:00

Superbly managed game both on and off the pitch. Prior to this season that's a banana skin fixture but now it's a banker 3 points.

Several motm candidates but Adams edges it for me. What a transformed player the last 12 months!

Almost a third of the season gone and we're cemented in the top 6. Surely we're now approaching the stage where we're gonna be disappointed if we don't qualify for European football...? 

We march on(wards and upwards)!

Screenshot_20201213-135517.png

• Like 1

Superbly managed game both on and off the pitch. Prior to this season that's a banana skin fixture but now it's a banker 3 points.

Several motm candidates but Adams edges it for me. What a transformed player the last 12 months!

Almost a third of the season gone and we're cemented in the top 6. Surely we're now approaching the stage where we're gonna be disappointed if we don't qualify for European football...? 

Edited by trousers

Very easy on the eye performance.  The movement and passing was excellent today no matter how poor the Blades were. Good to see Armstrong back in form; Walcott too played well.   Vestergaard, Walker-Peters, Romeu, JWP, Adams all at the top of their game.    Very pleasing to see the cameos from Diallo (there's a player there) and Nlundulu.     Looked like a knee hyper-extension to Romeu just before he was replaced - hope he's alright.

Enjoyed that today, never really felt we were under threat of not getting the win once we’d scored, and don’t think the team really needed to get out of 3rd gear.

Vest was immense again, fair play to him he’s really stepped it up and is one of our most important players now. Good for Ings to get a game under his belt but he definitely played like a man that had a month out injured. KWP was decent, randomly I love that he wears long sleeve shirts, never see that anymore it’s always short sleeves with a compression top!

Lastly I saw it mentioned on here that Sheffield United are in a “false” position. Well if that’s them playing well god help them when they play bad because they are awful.

massive lolz at McBurnie btw, dirty diving twat.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Why? He is the one in charge of time.

To be fair to the ref sky put the wrong amount of time up and there was only 3 minutes on the board.

Not sticking up for him though, he was crap today

Edited by bpsaint

Great result again, something special is happening I can feel it :)

Vestergaard immense again, Prowsey, Romeu, Armstrong, Adams, KWP and Walcott all superb. Well taken goals from Adams and Armstrong and a great goal from Redders when he came on too :) nice little cameos from N'Lundulu and Diallo as well.

Up to 3rd - We March On :)

Edited by davefizzy14

6 minutes ago, trousers said:

It's still very congested in the middle, not counting any chickens just yet!

Thought Diallo looked very good in the short time he was on the pitch. Ok, the game was won but he showed enough to suggest he's going to be a big player for us. He made himself available, controlled the ball first touch, passed and moved and generally looked very accomplished. Looking forward to seeing more from him.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, trousers said:

I’d like to agree but it is just so tight in there that at this stage to consider European football is far away as it could all change in 2 games

One win at a time and if we’re there or thereabouts after 21/22 games let’s talk! 

That was very enjoyable. When we hadn't scored after being so dominant i worried it might end up one of those smash and grab affairs.

Fortunately they got sloppy and we took adavantage and never really looked back.

Good to see redders more like himself and get a goal, see in his interview he said he didn't come back in the best of shape at the start of the season.

3 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

Thought Diallo looked very good in the short time he was on the pitch. Ok, the game was won but he showed enough to suggest he's going to be a big player for us. He made himself available, controlled the ball first touch, passed and moved and generally looked very accomplished. Looking forward to seeing more from him.

Exactly this. I was very impressed with Diallo, he looks class :)

Edited by davefizzy14
  • Like 1

Four observations...

1. Well done to the crowd who were allowed in. We could hear you loud and clear.

2. Compare what KWP offers this team compared to Cedric Soares. He is composed, he can dribble, he can tackle and he can cross the ball with some accuracy.

3. Is it too early to say that in Jannik Vestegaard we have another potential VvD. He is absolutely commanding that defence and has become a big threat in the opposition box.

4. I didn't quite catch which part of Sheffield was the ref born in. Sheff Utd should have had at least 4 yellow cards.  It appears someone had super-glued the cards in his pocket.

Well done Saints.  Excellent performance.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Saint Keef said:

4. I didn't quite catch which part of Sheffield was the ref born in. Sheff Utd should have had at least 4 yellow cards.  It appears someone had super-glued the cards in his pocket.

The yellow he did give could easily have been red. The Sheff player deliberately handled it to stop Ings and Adams getting a clear run in from the half way line.

That was so, so , so easy. We didn't even have to break sweat really.

But we did what was needed and got ourselves 3 goals to further boost our GD into the positive zone. Nothing really went wrong at all today, everything executed to perfection. When Vestergaard has time on the ball he is able to make the game look incredibly easy and can end up strolling it.

Sheffield United need to start planning for the Championship as they are all but gone.

dominated from start to finish and we come out no yellows or injuries. Vestergaard was my MoM, despite us not being under real pressure. Purely from his attacking play.  Adams was very good also.

Sheff United are very poor and lacking in any form of threat.  Sure, they will pick up more points (of course) and win a few games, but will be amazed if they stay up. 

Time for them to ring the Allardyce alarm

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/12160129/saints-pile-more-misery-onto-sheff-utd

A walk in the park. Apart from a ten minute period at the start of the second half, we looked comfortable throughout. Sky only mentioned the "L" word in the 85th minute. Great performances throughout the team. McCarthy was largely a spectator, as the back four were very solid, especially Vestergaard with another MOTM performance. Both full backs got up the pitch, linking up well with Walcott and Armstrong, who also had good games. As usual, the Romeu and Ward-Prowse partnership has a great understanding of each others' play and positioning. This is the first choice team which is gelling really well and getting the results because of it. Knowing Ralph's way of coaching, you can bet that the subs bench are also well versed in how the team plays and can therefore slot in seamlessly. Today's substitutions were spot on and having replaced Walcott, Redmond scored a great goal. The paths to the forwards are now many and varied, with service coming via the full backs getting well forward whenever possible, the two players forward of them either getting to the byeline, or cutting into the area, or good passes towards the area from Romeu and Ward-Prowse. Increasingly another option is via Vestergaard striding forward, ball at feet. Additionally we are becoming very good at set pieces. Ings was off the score sheet today, but always add a great deal to the team with his all out effort. If we can continue to play like this for the rest of the season, we should be playing in Europe at the end of it.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Kingsland Codger said:

What a superb performance from our boys! Those who always like to find something to whinge about must be very frustrated. Man of the match? Take your pick from the Saints players but I would volunteer the Sheffield goalkeeper for keeping the score down.

I actually feel sorry for Ramsdale. A season of getting battered and relegated with Bournemouth, gets his move to stay in the Prem and ends up getting battered even worse. He's actually a good keeper.

Anyway, on to us  - that was a superb professional dismantling of an inferior side. Calm, patient, wore them down and won very comfortably in the end. So many good performances, Vest and KWP I particularly liked. Nlundulu (sp) looks to have a bit about him. 

43 minutes ago, trousers said:

Cemented isn't quite the correct word, but who's not to like this wonderful table?  Third for a few minutes until Spurs play.

• stevegrant changed the title to Saints vs Sheff Utd - Match & Reaction Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic