2021/22 Kit

trousers

Looks good, would have preferred a striped back but I guess once it's got a massive number/name on the back it doesn't matter too much.

I will probably buy it (from a knock-off Chinese website, at least).

When's the away/third kit out? 😇

55 minutes ago, once_bitterne said:

Ugh.  Hideous.  The return of the deckchairs.

Have Stoke, Sunderland and Sheff Utd not taught us that red and white stripes is the kit of certain relegation?

Hopefully we can have a Denmark retro kit next season for our promotion campaign.

why did you start supporting a team that plays in "deckchairs" if you feel like that ? Stripes have been Saints home kit for over 100 years now ffs

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

why did you start supporting a team that plays in "deckchairs" if you feel like that ? Stripes have been Saints home kit for over 100 years now ffs

I would guess he chose what club to support based on more than just their kit!?

1 hour ago, Badger said:

Don't get the red back, it's not a requirement and detracts from the design.

I'm very much clutching at straws here but could a solid block of colour be easier for deeper players to pick out the runs of more advanced players during attacking moves? Or maybe easier for the coaching/performance peeps to identify players from the touchline? Seems highly unlikely but one would have thought there would be a specific reason rather than some pen-pusher in procurement and/or marketing tossing a coin as to how they wanted the back to look....?

Edited by trousers
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, trousers said:

I'm very much clutching at straws here but could a solid block of colour be easier for deeper players to pick out the runs of more advanced players during attacking moves? Or maybe easier for the coaching/performance peeps to identify players from the touchline? 

Yes, and this combined with Sir Clive's eye-gym means we are the most spacially aware team in Europe. #marginalgains

3 hours ago, Chez said:

After bigging up Hummel all summer, I have to say I'm pretty disappointed.  I saw the Denmark third kit earlier in the week and it looked tremendous. I was `excited' about our new shirt design, but they have failed to deliver the same wow factor. 

I like the Chevrons down the stripes, but really hate the black pinstripes between the red and white stripes. I guess it harks directly back to the 89 kit, but I really don't care for the black in our colour scheme - so there will be no pleasing me if its used in the shirt and not just the shorts. The collar is not great too.  Just looks weird. I guess its original, so maybe I will grow to like it.

It's certainly an improvement on the dreadful UA designs, but I was hoping for something a bit classier, but maybe its not possible when using red, back and white, as that is just a bad colour combination.

but I was hoping for something a bit classier, but maybe its not possible when using red, back and white, as that is just a bad colour combination.

Well its a good clean unfussy shirt that's better than some we've had.....................besides its better than a 1 colour home  shirt like some teams. I like it.Like you

though its a pity it isn't allowed on the back, after all we now have VAR to spot the culprit should the ref miss something.

27 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

It s just a red and white striped shirt (which is dull as fuck)

no design innovation, just a rehash of the 2003/2004 kit.

don t like the arrows that point to the bottom.

What "design innovation" are you expecting? Aren't the arrows just that (I.e. something a bit different to the norm?)

36 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

It s just a red and white striped shirt (which is dull as fuck)

no design innovation, just a rehash of the 2003/2004 kit.

don t like the arrows that point to the bottom.

Thank your lucky stars you're not a Scouser (for many reasons), I've heard a rumour next years kit might be a plain red shirt, with plain red shorts.

• Haha 1

I never get the views of fans who say ''stripes, boring. where's the innovation?''

I mean, what do you expect them to do? We are a club who play in stripes, we have a kit with stripes.

Newcastle are a club who play in stripes, they have a kit with stripes.

I don't quite understand what people are expecting.

• Like 1

Just now, S-Clarke said:

I never get the views of fans who say ''stripes, boring. where's the innovation?''

I mean, what do you expect them to do? We are a club who play in stripes, we have a kit with stripes.

• Haha 6

5 hours ago, Chez said:

I like the Chevrons down the stripes, but really hate the black pinstripes between the red and white stripes. I guess it harks directly back to the 89 kit, but I really don't care for the black in our colour scheme - so there will be no pleasing me if its used in the shirt and not just the shorts. The collar is not great too.  Just looks weird. I guess its original, so maybe I will grow to like it.

That harks back to when we moved to St Mary’s in 01 as that’s what was on our first kit, as was the V neck collar with the red and white stripe

Doh was really hoping for something inspired by the 1987-89 Saints/danish vibe kit. Maybe next time.

To be fair i expected it would be a return to a very simple stripe affair this time after the sash approach. Doesn't inspire any desire in me to purchase but sure there are many stripe fans who will be happy with it.

1 hour ago, jawillwill said:

What "design innovation" are you expecting? Aren't the arrows just that (I.e. something a bit different to the norm?)

I've just read that the latest the kit supports Augmented Reality (not a phrase I thought I'd ever say...), which is apparently a global first. Is that innovative for you?

Apparently it can be scanned with a smart phone to receive special offers from the OS store. Or, if this is your thing, can be made to appear that a life size 3D version of JWP is in your living room.

Just now, Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd said:

Nicest shirt we've had for years. Shame about the relegation arrows being so prominent within the white stripes. 😉

Pretty much my thoughts on it, the latter comment especially in a season when we could be struggling for survival. Otherwise it's OK. I'm a sash fan but it is nice to see the stripes back.

1 hour ago, bpsaint said:

That harks back to when we moved to St Mary’s in 01 as that’s what was on our first kit, as was the V neck collar with the red and white stripe

The 21/22 shirt harks directly to the Hummel shirt of 1989 - see the pinstripe between the stripes, plus also the black chevrons on the sleeves. Strangely I really like that 89 shirt, maybe cos Jimmy Case  wore it, and everything is better from ye olden days. Note the collar on the 89 shirt ties in nicely with the chevron design. The 21/22 collar doesn't tie in well at all.

southampton-home-football-shirt-1989-199

5 minutes ago, Chez said:

The 21/22 shirt harks directly to the Hummel shirt of 1989 - see the pinstripe between the stripes, plus also the black chevrons on the sleeves. Strangely I really like that 89 shirt, maybe cos Jimmy Case  wore it, and everything is better from ye olden days. Note the collar on the 89 shirt ties in nicely with the chevron design. The 21/22 collar doesn't tie in well at all.

IIRC that was our first proper striped kit for a long time. We had the Keegan kit c80-84, then the plain red one with the white and black bits, followed the hummel denmark half plain, half stripes kit. IMO all of them plus the sash kits we've had were miles better than any striped effort including this season. 

1 minute ago, edprice1984 said:

Calling it now - I reckon the third (Black kit) is going to be the 'Denmark style' one. If it is, I just hope that the awful sponsor plays along and goes black too.*

*We all know they won't

I think they will hold back on "Denmark style". I am certain we will get a kit like that during the course of the contract, but they'd be mad to do it in year one. Next season I think very likely.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Front and back as well as I recall. Surely that wouldn't be too much to ask.

1 hour ago, Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd said:

Nicest shirt we've had for years. Shame about the relegation arrows being so prominent within the white stripes. 😉

Do they point any other way on other team's kits ?

58 minutes ago, Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd said:

Still like to see us try red and while halves like Feyenoord, or even red and white hoops. 

Not complaining though. Looks quite smart. 

Wouldn't mind the halves, but not convinced by the idea of hoops. 

Nice kit, an improvement on recent years. I'm probably in the minority but I'd love to see a kit that resembles the classic PONY kit of the early 90's. Hummel could do something along similar lines, but replace the PONY "tick" that was across the chest with the Hummel "chevron".

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lettuce said:

Nice kit, an improvement on recent years. I'm probably in the minority but I'd love to see a kit that resembles the classic PONY kit of the early 90's. Hummel could do something along similar lines, but replace the PONY "tick" that was across the chest with the Hummel "chevron".

Which one ? If you mean the one with the skewed tick across the front, then please no. Even if it does have good memories of MLT in his prime.

(Unless the kit manufacturer can recreate an MLT to wear it of course, in which case bring it on).

New shirt is a bit meh for me but I’m not a fan of basic stripes..

But super excited for if/when we get the Denmark style shirts.

would be good if we also got the Denmark away version that they used at the time. Half white half striped, think this was even sexier then the home shirt 🥰

7 minutes ago, Badger said:

Which one ? If you mean the one with the skewed tick across the front, then please no. Even if it does have good memories of MLT in his prime.

(Unless the kit manufacturer can recreate an MLT to wear it of course, in which case bring it on).

Yeah, that's the one! I reckon it could look decent given a modern-day update. At least it's stripes with a bit of "innovation" that some on here crave.

Still got both home and away kits of that original PONY design but they're looking a bit battle-scarred these days. Fortunately, those 90's designs were generously proportioned so have accommodated a bit of lockdown spread. A modern-day refresh or adding them to the retro shirt range would be welcome.

Perhaps such an "iconic" design might inspire some MLT-levels of genius from our current squad (not holding my breath)

23 minutes ago, Saint Billy said:

Got fed up with the sash and not a big lover of stripes but I do like this. Hopefully we don't have the horrible hooped socks back again. 

Black shorts and mostly white socks. They are shown on the online store.

Anybody have any idea on when the other kits will be announced?

2 hours ago, Chez said:

Oh yeah so it does - I thought the pin striped stripes and red and white collar are meant to be a throwback to our first kit at SMS with the image of the cantilevers on the back and the stadium inside etc

image.jpeg.efd802572861b53b45e9c5242b3ba4bd.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

New shirt is a bit meh for me but I’m not a fan of basic stripes..

But super excited for if/when we get the Denmark style shirts.

would be good if we also got the Denmark away version that they used at the time. Half white half striped, think this was even sexier then the home shirt 🥰

This bad boy??

danske.jpg

• Like 1