Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

1 hour ago, revolution saint said:

What exactly is bang average? I mean, average is, well, average, but bang average seems to suggest an even better version of average which I’d naively thought impossible. 

I thought bang on average as in exactly the numerical average rather than somewhere in the middle !

31 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

No that would be dead centre, as opposed to .........centre.

Central can be a region rather than a fixed point. I would say with ratings out of 10 for footallers:

10-8 = Brilliant

7 = Really good

6-4 = Average

Anything below = Terrible

And as 5 is in the middle of the two other 'average' status' and also in the middle of the entire scale, that would make it BANG average as opposed to 4 and 6 which are just in the average region.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

A few negative pieces of news today after all the positivity. Missing out on a striker, KWP interest, hammers interest in broja etc. Coukd do with some exciting attacking links. 

Not sure we should judge a quiet period as negative but I know what you mean. I wouldn’t be surprised if WHam have not made a bid because they’re just tyre kicking…we are probably in the same place with an equal chance of making a bid. Whether our offer is then favourable remains to be seen, but it’s not been ruled out.

47 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

A few negative pieces of news today after all the positivity. Missing out on a striker, KWP interest, hammers interest in broja etc. Coukd do with some exciting attacking links. 

They'll get a striker, if they don't then we are relying on Walcott, Redmond, and some youngsters to back up Chez and Adam, not good! I suspect Delap is no1 target.

Broja wasn't our player, love him to come back, but he's a long way from the finished article. They'll be other options 

Every team wants a 10+ striker, club will have to work hard to find one.

KWP was always going to attract interest. I suspect either he goes or JWP  to raise funds. Just have to accept that, it is the new way.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Arsenal - 4 - £82.85m - Turner (£4.85m), Marquinhos (£3m), Vieira (£30m), Jesus (£45m)
Aston Villa - 4 - £45.8m - Coutinho (£17m), Kamara (free), Carlos (£26m), Olsen (£2.8m)
Bournemouth - 2 - £0 - Fredericks (free), Rothwell (free)

Brentford - 1 - £14m - Hickey (£14m)

Brighton - 0 - £0 - 
Chelsea - 0 - £0 - 
Crystal Palace - 3 - £18m - Ebiowei (fee to be agreed), Johnstone (free), Doucoure (£18m)
Everton - 1 - £0 - Tarkowski (free)
Fulham - 1 - £17m - Palhinha (£17m)

Leeds - 5 - £78.7m - Aaronson (£22.2m), Kristensen (£10m), Roca (£10m), Adams (£15m), Sinisterra (£21.5m)
Leicester - 0 - £0 - 
Liverpool - 3 - £73.5m - Carvalho (£5m), Nunez (£64.3m), Ramsey (£4.2m)
Man City - 3 - £93.1m - Haaland (£51.1m), Moreno (free), Phillips (£42m)
Man Utd - 1 - £13m - Malacia (£13m)
Newcastle - 3 - £53m - Targett (£12m), Pope (£10m), Botman (£31m)

Nottingham Forest - 6 - £56m - Awoniyi (£17m), Henderson (loan), Biancone (£5m), Niakhate (£8.5m), Richards (£8.5m), Williams (£17m)

Southampton - 5 - £37.1m - Bazunu (£12m), Lis (free), Bella-Kotchap (£8.6m), Lavia (£10.5m), Aribo (£6m)
Tottenham - 6 - £117.5m -  Perisic (free), Forster (free), Bissouma (£25m), Romero (£42.5m), Richarlison (£50m), Lenglet (loan)

West Ham - 3 - £49.75m - Aguerd (£30m), Areola (£7.75m), Downes (£12m)
Wolves - 0 - £0 

Total Signings: 51
Total Spend: £759,300,000

Transfer Window SLAMS Shut: 11pm, 1 September

Spending has been pretty crazy already, looks set to be the biggest spending summer in PL history. A touch over £1.4bn was spent in 2017.

1 hour ago, macca155 said:

They'll get a striker, if they don't then we are relying on Walcott, Redmond, and some youngsters to back up Chez and Adam, not good! I suspect Delap is no1 target.

Broja wasn't our player, love him to come back, but he's a long way from the finished article. They'll be other options 

Every team wants a 10+ striker, club will have to work hard to find one.

KWP was always going to attract interest. I suspect either he goes or JWP  to raise funds. Just have to accept that, it is the new way.

I know we will get a striker. I want a good one. 

5 hours ago, Wurzel said:

Yeah but ....... they've played for Liverpool so they can add the "special" surcharge .  

Minamino went for a bunch and he has played so few minutes in the PL. Not sure how proven he is.

hell, Minamino had more PL minutes with us than with all his years combined at Liverpool. 717 v. 711

only 5 PL starts with Liverpool (9 with us)

59 minutes ago, SambaMaverick said:

Already very jealous of their defence - probably the best outside the top six. Collins is a very good signing.

He'll be very good for Wolves as they play 5 at the back and a defensive midfield.  They play on the counter and are very good at it at it but looking good in their defence is not hard.  Put him in ours, with fewer defenders, a much higher line and a pressing mentality and he'd seem like a very different player.  He's a good player, but don't discount the circumstance in which he is going to be asked to play.  Defenders at Southampton have a much harder job.

Our defenders have also looked good when we play defensively.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, macca155 said:

They'll get a striker, if they don't then we are relying on Walcott, Redmond, and some youngsters to back up Chez and Adam, not good!

Adam and I will do our best.

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

3 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

he's the guy the Burnley fans think could go all the way to the top. I bet they are absolutely gutted that someone else has noticed and is willing to spend pretty big to get him.

On 10/07/2022 at 20:01, Smirking_Saint said:

Delap has played how many minutes in the prem 

not sure why that matters., our whole policy has been built around young players with no prem experience, so why use that against delap-? He’s one the best academy striker talents we can buy 

FWIW I wouldn’t be convinced by Broja as our only No.9 either

the main point I’m trying to make is che has only done ok he hadn’t been close to a revelation just average..

also and this is reality not the bias che seems to be receiving .broja’s ceiling is sky high with his attributes could play for one of the best clubs in the world and be a world class striker..

adams on the other hand I’d say his ceiling is probably Everton and that’s being generous. Outside of us it’s likely only the newly promoted or poor sides would be interested so no surprise it’s only forest showing interest 

Edited by pimpin4rizeal

4 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Central can be a region rather than a fixed point. I would say with ratings out of 10 for footallers:

10-8 = Brilliant

7 = Really good

6-4 = Average

Anything below = Terrible

And as 5 is in the middle of the two other 'average' status' and also in the middle of the entire scale, that would make it BANG average as opposed to 4 and 6 which are just in the average region.

Quality will follow a Gaussian curve. Markers should be set at 1, 2 & 3 SD's

5 hours ago, le_tiss said:

Arsenal - 4 - £82.85m - Turner (£4.85m), Marquinhos (£3m), Vieira (£30m), Jesus (£45m)
Aston Villa - 4 - £45.8m - Coutinho (£17m), Kamara (free), Carlos (£26m), Olsen (£2.8m)

Brighton - 0 - £0 - 
Chelsea - 0 - £0 - 
Crystal Palace - 3 - £18m - Ebiowei (fee to be agreed), Johnstone (free), Doucoure (£18m)

Leeds - 5 - £78.7m - Aaronson (£22.2m), Kristensen (£10m), Roca (£10m), Adams (£15m), Sinisterra (£21.5m)
Leicester - 0 - £0 - 

Nottingham Forest - 6 - £56m - Awoniyi (£17m), Henderson (loan), Biancone (£5m), Niakhate (£8.5m), Richards (£8.5m), Williams (£17m)

Southampton - 5 - £37.1m - Bazunu (£12m), Lis (free), Bella-Kotchap (£8.6m), Lavia (£10.5m), Aribo (£6m)
Tottenham - 6 - £117.5m -  Perisic (free), Forster (free), Bissouma (£25m), Romero (£42.5m), Richarlison (£50m), Lenglet (loan)

Wolves - 0 - £0 

Spending has been pretty crazy already, looks set to be the biggest spending summer in PL history. A touch over £1.4bn was spent in 2017.

Honestly people are slagging off Forest’s transfer dealings but Niakhate and Richards are shrewd and show value imo… Neco Williams is expensive but he is a good player

Other than that Id say the windows been quietish… Id say so far us/City have strengthened well and Leeds with Sinistera is potentially very good.. would have loved him here

4 hours ago, SaintZamboni said:

That’s such a weird thing to say. ‘If their interest should materialize’, they’re not interested but if they were he’d prefer them…no sh*t 

If true, and he is hanging around for a better offer I would bin him off.

4 hours ago, skintsaint said:

But pretty much all players do that anyway though. It's generally why most transfer business takes place towards the end of a window. Players will have received various offers and their agents will advise them to hold off and wait to see if a better offer crops up before signing for anyone. Using that as a reason to not sign a potentially really good player would be madness.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, skintsaint said:

Too right. We should only sign players who have been Saints fans since childhood and would actively refuse to consider playing for any other club.

We definitely don't want anyone with any ambition to play for the biggest clubs in the world.

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

But pretty much all players do that anyway though. It's generally why most transfer business takes place towards the end of a window. Players will have received various offers and their agents will advise them to hold off and wait to see if a better offer crops up before signing for anyone. Using that as a reason to not sign a potentially really good player would be madness.

Maybe but feel Saints want their new striker in before the season starts, its why if he is playing silly buggers (he won't be signed for Utd) then lets move on.

29 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Too right. We should only sign players who have been Saints fans since childhood and would actively refuse to consider playing for any other club.

We definitely don't want anyone with any ambition to play for the biggest clubs in the world.

Righto.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

As a fan, I'd only truly accept those players that love the club so much, they pay us to play.  Anyone not prepared to do that isn't showing the right commitment.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, le_tiss said:

Brighton - 0 - £0 - 
Chelsea - 0 - £0 - 

Leicester - 0 - £0 - 

Wolves - 0 - £0 

Edited by SaintBitterne
Incorrect info from myself

On 10/07/2022 at 11:28, SW5 SAINT said:

Dixon and Speedie…..

For value - in those days 1992 - it was a disastrous deal.

We got £3 million for Shearer ( a British record at the time)

and then paid out around £1 million for Dixon and Speedie..

They played around a dozen games between them and were gone

by the next season and we got zilch in return.

Similar situation with record sale of Martin Chivers to Spurs 1967

we got Frank Saul in part ex. which cost nearly 40% of the deal.

My advice to club is never do part exchange when it involves

taking one of their bench players who they don't want.

KWP is the only exception I can think of.

Possible warning for an eventual Winks deal.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, SaintZamboni said:

That’s such a weird thing to say. ‘If their interest should materialize’, they’re not interested but if they were he’d prefer them…no sh*t 

I'd presume he has been made aware there is some interest, I don't think players or agents would stall and potentially miss out on a move just on the off chance a big club might sign them. 

Also Man Utd seem to be particularly odd when it comes to transfers, they have a history of posturing over transfer targets for a long time before actually agreeing a deal, its one of the main criticisms going around of their behind the scenes set up. They have a new manager in but so far only have 1 signing in. I mean it might work for someone like Kalajdzic because he has a year left on his contract so the selling club might lower what the asking price nearer the end of the window but they were told last year in like June what the price for Sancho was they then spent the whole time going back and forth, and basically bought him right near the start of the season for pretty much the amount Dortmund requested. They seem to be doing the same with Frankie De Jong as well.

Also I presume the whole Ronaldo thing has to be sorted, probably a striker is not a priority for them unless he goes.

12 hours ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

The point Im making is we know Che’s value (which is more than just his goal output). Delap could be a revalation in the prem, he could also flop (see AA) so losing Che to bring in an unknown is a heavy gamble

As for Broja… Im not convinced his potential is sky high to be honest, he is ok, good on the ball and big and strong but again he is a gamble… and despite the bluster on here by many he simply had less goal involvements last year than Che without offering the same work rates

So basically I’ll stand with where I was before, I welcome strengthening our frontline but Id almost certainly want Che to hang around for atleast this season

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

The point Im making is we know Che’s value (which is more than just his goal output). Delap could be a revalation in the prem, he could also flop (see AA) so losing Che to bring in an unknown is a heavy gamble

As for Broja… Im not convinced his potential is sky high to be honest, he is ok, good on the ball and big and strong but again he is a gamble… and despite the bluster on here by many he simply had less goal involvements last year than Che without offering the same work rates

So basically I’ll stand with where I was before, I welcome strengthening our frontline but Id almost certainly want Che to hang around for atleast this season

I rate Adams, think he's a very good football and we're a better team when he's in it. He's obviously not prolific in front of goal and sometimes you wonder quite how he missed some of the chances he does but overall rather him in the team than not. If he could just manage an extra couple of goals a season to make him a 10 goal a season striker than that's not bad return for £15m. He could also quite easily have one of those seasons where he ends up with 15-20 goals when everything he hits goes in rather than straight at the keeper like some of his chances do now.

• Like 8

48 minutes ago, BILLY said:

Sure KWP was a totally separate deal and not a part exchange (for PH) as per Spurs wanted tbh. 

KWP was playing for Saints on loan before PEH left so wouldn't see that as part-exchange unless it was always intended to be part of the deal. Arguably James Beattie from Blackburn in exchange for Kevin Davies was a rare example of a successful swap for us. At the time we were told that the deals were separate, but the timing suggested otherwise.