Paul Onuachu is there a player in there?

Mr X

Onuachu (tall Paul as we seem to have "affectionately" named him) was bought in clearly in a bid to increase our goal tally.  What's your verdict so far? Seems he is underperforming as selles hasn't picked him an awful lot.

What's your verdict? To me he's shown glimpses of good ball control at his feet and that's about it, slow not great in the air and no football brain in the final third also goes down easily for a giant.

Guess he needs a lot more game time to become adjusted to this league? Game time hasn't helped the likes of AA though 

Looks alright to me, got a decent touch and quite mobile for a big guy but he's not going to be any use unless someone pings a cross or two in towards him so he can actually use his height to win headers. The only decent cross he's seen since he got here was against Chelsea and he nearly scored.

I dont think the problem lies with Tall Paul, the problem is lack of service and playing to his strengths.

• Like 9

When we brought Carillo I could see he just wasn't good enough.

Tall Paul has good ball control, for someone so tall and offers something different tk what we have, unfortunately the way we play just doesn't aide Paul. 

He will still be a good player for us.

• Like 2

Just a thought but I wonder if part of the reason some of these players are not getting minutes is not down to them being bad or useless but more to Selles going back to basically Ralpha pressing triggers and the 'playbook' and these players just not up to speed with them yet. 

Also the guy has had a handful of minutes so far, so considering he has come into a new league, new country, I thought he has done ok. You don't score that weight of goals without having something about you so I think he'll come good, I don't think he is another Carillo. I am not saying he is suddenly going to score 20+ goals a season but I think he could easily be a 10-12 goals guy in the PL who also adds a few assists and just generally helps the play by being this big presence up front. 

Vitinha, who was basically are other main striker target, the one that went to Marseille is yet to score for them in 6 games. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sambosa75 said:

Baffled by other's comments on here.  He looks absolutely dreadful from what I've seen.  For such a man mountain he's offered little to no physical or aerial threat other than 1 headed attempt on goal away to Chelsea.  

That’s pretty much the only ball into him in the box in all the games he’s played, so no surprise there. Also the thing that i’m sure caught most people’s eyes in the Chelsea game was how good he was with his feet, and his passing. 

• Like 1

I've not seen much of him but from the little i've seen and what i've heard he doesn't suit the way we play at all. If we'd been long ball under Jones maybe he might have fit in. He also needs a preseason as he looks miles off being fit enough for a premier league player. I am concerned this is going to be another Pellegrino/Carillo situation

Like others have said I was pleasantly surprised at his ball control and passing. However, his heading ability is nothing to write home about and most importantly for me, he doesn’t seem to have a sharp footballing brain…i.e. his positional sense is poor, meaning he will see very few chances or create very few chances.

Not that he can’t improve…but we’ve seen how this goes with other strikers that don’t have that natural instinctive talent for the Prem…it doesn’t end well. Compare him to Lambert who came up from the lower leagues - he had that instinct that gave him a head start.

Edited by Saint Fan CaM

I think due to our perilous position we are caught between 2 sticks. He obviously has ability, the games where he started he looked useful. Had he arrived in August we would have seen more of him as I think that he is one of those players who needs to play regularly to maintain his inner momentum, bit like Maya when he was in and out of defence. Maya would kick a ball after 5 games out and disappear in a cloud of rust dust, given a run of games and he was much more of the international defender he still is. Alas I don't think "tall Paul" is one of those to bring off the bench in the second half as he is possibly one of those players who doesn't read the game well from the bench and is unable to pick up the match thread when cast into the fray on 70 minutes, at 28 you might struggle to train that into him, and the premier league pace gives you little chance to learn on the job. 

With our position I am guessing that those in the know can see its a risky throw of the dice to play him more - that said those in the know still send AA out on the pitch to nullify our attack and demonstrate that if the goal was as big as the Chapel Stand and the oppo keeper was a Dwarf, he could still squirt the ball off an obscure part of his boot into the Kingsland.

Chelsea away was his best performance..but hasn’t produced much since.. in a few Cameo appearances including United the weekend he was a passenger.

As mentioned before on here for a huge unit he doesn’t win any headers in dangerous areas.. that said tho the way we set up has a lot to do with it.

The recent long ball tactic we applied under taff lasso has now been extinguished! So bazunu isn’t just looking for him lumping it route one ..we are now getting the ball down and playing football…If we get our full backs bombimg down the wings and crossing for him I reckon he’ll stand a better chance of scoring..atm tho he’s passenger in games.

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

I've not seen much of him but from the little i've seen and what i've heard he doesn't suit the way we play at all. If we'd been long ball under Jones maybe he might have fit in. He also needs a preseason as he looks miles off being fit enough for a premier league player. I am concerned this is going to be another Pellegrino/Carillo situation

I think he was renowned for only managing 60 mins in the Belgian league, so he's unlikely to ever have the stamina to play a full game. He looks an expensive panic buy from our wonderfully coiffeured guru. 

• Like 2

I thought he was decent against Chelsea, but if I'm totally honest I don't think he fits the rest of our team. He's not mobile enough to engage in the front press.

His height is almost certainly an advantage, but as of yet we don't seem to be making the most of that. Still early days as he's not really played much, but given that Adams is now back in front of him it's probably suggestive that he doesn't quite fit the style we play.

Hope he's not another Carillo.

He held the ball up well against Chelsea, but other than trying hard, that is pretty much the only positive thing I can say about him. 

He's glacial slow, pretty average in the air and has the smallest engine I have ever seen on a Premier League player ever. He offers no dribbling ability and pretty much no threat. He is totally reliant on someone else laying on a chance for him. Although you can point to a lack of quality crossing, which is fair, he hasn't got himself into good positions IMO. That's one aspect he can and must improve.

When he was about to sign I watched all his highlights videos and what I saw was a pretty poor striker of the ball (dare I say it another scuffer). The idea that he might be the finisher at the club (because he has a decent goal stats) is more hope than fact. Most of his goals look like simple, on a plate, tap ins...with plenty of time to set his feet, get his head up etc. the answer therefore is for us to create those guilt edge chances. Easier said than done though.

Right this minute, I'd go as far to say that he is one of the most disappointing signings in our history. Not necessarily the worst, although he could easily match Carillo in terms of value for money, but just the fact we had money to spend and in two windows he was the best we could come up with it. I agree with Morse. A complete panic buy. The scout and whole transfer committee involved should be sacked. 

Having slated him, he will probably score the winner tonight, get the goals that keep us up and score a hatful over a long and illustrious Saints career, eventually becoming known as Sir Tall Pall. 

• Like 2

Clearly a panic buy, but I’m not sure we had much more available to us at the time. Players with a legitimate goalscoring pedigree were worth a punt more than someone like Mara has been. 

Was pleasantly surprised by his control and hold-up play, but Che is just a much better fit for this current system. I’d still like to see them play together at some point, maybe even tonight. 

Doesn’t help when you have a 6’7 striker and only one player on the entire pitch capable of putting in a decent cross. The lack of aerial service to him was embarrassing whenever he’s played. Looking at you in particular, Perraud.

I think he suited the way Nathan Jones wanted to play. Big man up front and Prowsey and James Bree to whip high balls into him. I just can't see he suits the way Selles wants to play but some of his control has been good, particularly against Chelsea, but I don't think the way we set up now will really suit him. And the fact Ruben prefers Mara off the bench to try to get in behind the opposition if we're ahead and they're pushing for a goal says quite a lot. I'd like to see him do well but, under Selles, he feels like £20 million option off the bench if we need a goal and/or want to disrupt/distract the opposition defence. 

Cant be any worse than Adam Armstrong whose decision making when getting into good positions is awful. Panic buy, yes, I dont think he was on our shortlist at the start of the window but it was a case of try something could you imagine the backlash if the board hadn't got a striker in again? interestingly Genk have only picked up 9 out of 21 points since he's left and are starting to look over their shoulders a bit. 

8 minutes ago, ally_uk said:

In all honesty he looks terrible 

Like he is running through treacle 🤣🤣🤣

This is the thing though, he was never going to be a cultured silky player, he was always going to be ugly to watch. But I assumed we may play to his strengths as his height would be useful, but we don't even seem to do that.

If we're going to play a high press/high energy counter pressing style then I just don't see how he fits. Maybe a last 10 mins option when you're swinging balls into the box with a plan b, but that's one hell of an expensive plan b when we don't really have a plan a in terms of a goal scorer.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

Haven't seen anywhere enough of him to form much of an opinion either way.  His lack of stamina is a problem and he was consistently subbed around the 60 min mark in inferior leagues which doesn't bode well and means that consistent pressing isn't going to work. 

I think he could be a decent option in games where we're in control and need to break down defences and his height should give us loads of options.  I'd be looking to use him as an impact sub when we're chasing a game and against a team content to sit back.

Definitely not writing him off but we'll need to play a different type of game if he ever becomes a consistent starter.

Damned if you do damned if you dont after the dearth of scoring options we have.

We were scouring europe for a goalscorer of any type in the winter.

We thought we had Vitnha (only played 66mins so far for marseille) who would suit the pressing style we have reverted back to but when he fell through our fingers tall paul was next on the list and was perfect style wise for the fittest man in the world.

He's got goals in him i believe, his composure on the ball in his hold up play shows calmness and whilst he obviously tires after 60mins (he's just moved from belgium to the fastest league in the world) he will be a good element for our plan b longer ball approach starting or off the bench.

As mentioned above i'd like him further forward working with Che, i  dont think he's not slow and he seems to love the physical stuff.

He was the golden boot winner last year in belgium so can obviously score, the team need to help him unlock his potential in his first half of a season (pre-season will help fitness)

Primarily he seems super happy when others do well and he's on the bench as per various video's over the last few games so a good team man.

Yes from me.

Somehow, I've not yet seen him play at all yet, neither live or in TV highlights.

Therefore, I'd quite like him to get a run out tonight, ofc the bench, and open his account.

You don't get to play in the Prem unless you have something about you...

(Ali Dia and Carrillo excepted)

My biggest concern is that I haven't really seen him use his height advantage. To win the ball, it's height + leap.  He's a foot taller than Shane Long, but maybe a foot less of a leaper too?!  Anyone have footage of him showing real ability to climb above defenders?    I've been impressed by some of his footwork, and I think he's faster than he looks, because of those long legs.    If he can get tuned to the league, could be an amazing asset given that we have JWP's right leg to feed in to him.

If I could write a script for tonight, it would be that he comes on and claims the winner in spectacular style. Suddenly we'll all feel so much happier!

P.S. AlexLaw. I predict you'll end up embarrassed by that comment on Rasmus. I grant you the NJ decision backfired.  But I've seen enough evidence to believe that he and SR can create something really magical here. You're confusing thoughtful risk-taking (many risks fail) with incompetence.   

9 minutes ago, NewYorkSaint said:

My biggest concern is that I haven't really seen him use his height advantage. To win the ball, it's height + leap.  He's a foot taller than Shane Long, but maybe a foot less of a leaper too?!  Anyone have footage of him showing real ability to climb above defenders?    I've been impressed by some of his footwork, and I think he's faster than he looks, because of those long legs.    If he can get tuned to the league, could be an amazing asset given that we have JWP's right leg to feed in to him.

If I could write a script for tonight, it would be that he comes on and claims the winner in spectacular style. Suddenly we'll all feel so much happier!

P.S. AlexLaw. I predict you'll end up embarrassed by that comment on Rasmus. I grant you the NJ decision backfired.  But I've seen enough evidence to believe that he and SR can create something really magical here. You're confusing thoughtful risk-taking (many risks fail) with incompetence.   

yeah know what you mean but on the other end his chest control which is still over 6ft is very good and seems to be his preference 

I'm reserving judgement until I've seen him receive some passes from anyone else in the team.

Brought in to be on the end of Nathan's tactic, and a lot less suited to the previous RalphBall or Selles tactics. 

I've seen him take up good wider positions, and a steady trot back when it doesn't reach him.

I've seen him take up solid central postions, and he shows consistency with that trot back when it doesn't reach him.

I'm sure I've seen him pass the ball, and then move into some space. That trot back when it doesn't reach him is a little different, as he has to slow down and turn back as well.

Selles likes to contain and launch a direct counter with Alcaraz. That's a couple of times I've seen that not suit Onuachu much.

Not sure if he has the mobility to play deep and get on the end of any quick attack. Having him up there by himself is currently wasted as we're not able to get the ball forward quickly enough, choosing slow sideways passing that gives oponents plenty of time to get back.

He plays in the same manner as Adams. No thought to buying someone who will complement Adams, instead we’re stuck with two strikers who want to play the same way and who can’t play together.

In the same way that we keep buying a tricky winger with pace but no end product. 

No wonder we so shit when we just spend the whole game with our wide players dribbling into dead ends and then just go backwards and over to the other wing for them to do the same thing.

We keep coming up with the same useless solutions in our recruitment and expect something to change. Air never does - and no wonder all our manager’s subs look so shit: Sulemana, Edozie, Djenepo they all just offer the same thing and it isn’t end product.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, spyinthesky said:

He made me laugh with his first touch out on the left touch line.

Not sure what he was trying to do but it sort of summed up his skill set ie similar to someone who has only recently come into the game from basketball.

Yeah the smash into a brentford player to somehow win a throw. Literally thought he was a competition winner. So bad. Embarrassing really.

He's emblematic of a transfer policy dictated by people who have all the statistics but no actual football knowledge.

There was no joined up thinking behind his signing. We tried to sign Vitinha from Braga, who is quick, agile, aggressive and skillful. 

And when that didn't work out we switched our attention to Onuachu, who is the direct antithesis of those attributes. Stylistically, they couldn't have been more diverse.

There was no plan. No thought behind how he'd fit into our squad or how suitable he'd be in this league. It was pure panic by a bunch of fucking amateurs who are convinced they've "solved" football on MS Excel.

Might go okay in the Championship, if we're lucky...

• Like 3