Southampton 1-1 Leicester - Match Thread

fanimal

Wow.

Thought we were heading for embarrassment after the ridiculous sending off.

Credit has to go to all of the defence. KWP had one of his best games for us. Jack had his best game of the season. Salisu looked too good not have started. Bednarek looked far more solid than he has in a while. Vesty better get that red turned over.

I thought Stu and Che worked very hard to keep us looking a bit dangerous throughout. 

We might even win a couple of games before the end of the season..

• Like 4

Just now, Turkish said:

He’s an excellent defender, reads the game really well and always in the right place. He got left after after getting bullied by Calvert Lewin so maybe just needs to toughen up a bit.

I think he’s really good. Start him while vest suspended. (For that ludicrous decision)(may be overturned?)

4 minutes ago, Shroppie said:

You cannot be serious. Magnificent display after a ludicrous red card.

The events of this season, VAR, politicising the game, the franchise clubs trying to break away with zero punishment forthcoming, all conspiring to rob me of any passion for the game. 

Recent passing of my father who got me into Saints may also be having an effect, doesn't feel the same without him.

• Like 5
  • Sad 3

1 minute ago, Saint_clark said:

The events of this season, VAR, politicising the game, the franchise clubs trying to break away with zero punishment forthcoming, all conspiring to rob me of any passion for the game. 

Recent passing of my father who got me into Saints may also be having an effect, doesn't feel the same without him.

You'll feel better once we're back there. Guess we are all feeling it. Our team being generally crap doesn't help. 

This is a point to be enjoyed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VictiAbNonem said:

Wow.

Thought we were heading for embarrassment after the ridiculous sending off.

Credit has to go to all of the defence. KWP had one of his best games for us. Jack had his best game of the season. Salisu looked too good not have started. Bednarek looked far more solid than he has in a while. Vesty better get that red turned over.

I thought Stu and Che worked very hard to keep us looking a bit dangerous throughout. 

We might even win a couple of games before the end of the season..

Errrr what exactly was Bednarek doing when Leicester scored? Scratching his arse as usual. A very poor player indeed.... 

Other than that fair analysis... 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, The Cat said:

Not sure I've ever heard McCarthy speak before.

He makes an important point. When told that it was a red card for a DOGSO he says that he would have got the ball. Once Vestergaard has played the ball, and played it fairly too, McCarthy would have gathered the ball. 

• Like 9

That was a bonus. A bit of fight at last. Salisu excellent when he came on, KWP very good and they all did well, including Alex with that late save. Restricted Leicester well and still had our own chances. Ralph must be happier with that.

What might have been but that for the poor performance from the officials both on pitch and remotely (yet again).

There’s going to be a lot of lower league players in their early 30s out of contract in the summer who could run a top level game with an intensive summer course.

That red card will be overturned I suspect by anyone vaguely knowledgable. 

Martin Tyler - please retire. You’ve had a great career but he is on the 1976 Fulham 4-1 home win where Best was sent off in the Big Match revisited and he now sounds like he gets his football cliches from the Daily Express and only watches the odd game live. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

Would have taken a point before the game, let alone playing 80 mins with 10 men. Great to finally see a bit of character and battling rather than bottling.

Red card was a disgrace, surely has to be overturned.

Well done Saints.

In a season of disappointment and let down - that was just the performance to give everyone a lift.

7 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

He makes an important point. When told that it was a red card for a DOGSO he says that he would have got the ball. Once Vestergaard has played the ball, and played it fairly too, McCarthy would have gathered the ball. 

I didn't think Vardy would have got it.

Was never ever a red in any universe.

5 minutes ago, captainchris said:

Errrr what exactly was Bednarek doing when Leicester scored? Scratching his arse as usual. A very poor player indeed.... 

Other than that fair analysis... 

I didn't say he was good, just better than usual! He gave me far fewer arse-clenching moments than he has in recent games. And he did seem to step up after JV went off.

Well we had some fight and spirit tonight, better late than never.

Salisu had a great game. 

My only gripe apart from the terrible penalty decision is that we are still giving the ball away far too often either by bad passing or poor ball control, otherwise a well earned point. 

• Like 1

The players have fight. I'm surprised but equally I'm proud.

A superb point. We'll need that same defensive energy and spirit at Liverpool; after that we can win every game in my opinion.

Those who doubt Ralph really show their lack of footballing intelligence. The players are with him; the directors are with him; the majority of fans are with him. I just hope the club back him in the transfer window.

• Like 7

Its like a funeral parlour on sky sports 1, everybody is so sad 😂. Shove it up them and their biased coverage. 

Ralph deserves alot of credit for starting Stephens. He put in a similar performance in the 2-1 win at the King Power a few seasons ago (complete with mocking Vardys celebration). Also made a quick change after the red to tighten things up. Salisu was excellent. It seems that Ralphs learnt his lesson from the OT debacle. Really proud of the boys. Hopefully we can take this forward and finish the season strong

• Like 7

Real grit there. Excellent point.

The red card is bewildering. Can see why the ref give it from his angle, but it’s an obvious slam-dunk overturn on VAR, surely to God?

I don’t really blame VAR for the red, that would have been given without VAR. I was just truly surprised that no “VAR checking red card” appeared on TV or the ref didn’t have a second look.

VAR is supposed to be an insurance policy. It failed badly.

• Like 3

I think that's the sort of performance we've all been crying out for really, just a bit of fight and bottle left out on the pitch. It's been solely missing for a few years with this group, but to their credit they grouped together today in adversity and were just like ''you're not going to beat us'.

Absolutely crap touch from Vestergaard, he's prone to those stupid lapses and he needs to cut them out. Although, he got the ball and it was an excellent error-recovering challenge - I'm not sure how they thought it was a denial of a clear goal scoring opportunity when he won the ball. I think that decision worked in our benefit though as it seemed to give our game an edge.

Bednarek was much better today than he has been for weeks, that's the Bednarek you can build a solid defence around. Salisu I felt was excellent as well, he reads the game really, really well and his pace is an added benefit. He's a little bit raw in places but from what I've seen he looks like he should be a starter for us to be honest.

After the red there wasn't really much of a game for our attack, it's just not really fallen for Minamino here what so ever. Adams battled hard but it never really stuck sadly.

Overall, a nice backs to the wall performance as those have been solely missing.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 3

Good to see Redders making an effort as my general scapegoat he deserves credit. Never understood the Stephens hate but he deserves credit too. Also McCarthy for some great saves and Salisu for looking genuine class. Adams put a massive shift in as did KWP. In fact only Minimino really looked out of sorts - not that he wasn’t trying he just doesn’t look like he suits this team (or maybe league). Finally Ralph - got his tactics right today for me.

• Like 2

First proper defensive performance for ages, proper team performance tonight. Interesting that the 3 “stars” Bertrand, Ings & Vesty missing.

Che ran his socks off, KWP excellent, The keeper did well, except maybe one misjudgment. Special mention for Stephens, out of position but did really well. 

• Like 10

Never a red but great to see us finally show some fight at last. Salisu was immense and maybe even threatens Jannik's position. Stephens gave us some much needed voice and belligerence. Adams worked so hard and Armstrong gave his usual hard running performance. Dare I say it, Ralph even got it right tactically when we went down to 10...

• Like 2

• Lighthouse changed the title to Southampton 1-1 Leicester - Match Thread