Southampton 0-1 Leicester - Match Thread

Matthew Le God

Well, we're still alive. Playing the usual rubbish; slow passing moves that inevitably end up back with the goalkeeper who hoofs it. But we haven't lost yet.

Lots of mistakes being made though that Leicester will surely take advantage of eventually.

Not really clear what the plan is - we're not pressing much in attack or sitting back defending deep. Or anything really. We're just sort of there.

Just now, Roo1976 said:

If Jankewitz cant get a shot in this game when might he get another go? Diallo or Redmond or Djenepo could quite easilly be replaced atm,but Ralph wont let him loose,this guys suposed to be mustard yes? its tense but we need to be braver its there for the history making COYS.

Playing Jankewitz is a huge risk. If he comes on and gets sent off or looks disinterested, we've thrown the game away.

That was a totally negative first half from us. We are afraid to move the ball forward quickly and would rather dwell on it, go backwards, rinse and repeat. If that continues there is only going to be one winner. Time to see if Ralph has any tactical nous to change the direction of a match. 

Edited by Teddeer

Just now, CB Fry said:

Our first option seems to be to go backwards or find Fraser. Pretty pathetic performance. We're fortunate that Leicester not exactly on fire. 

We can't seem to trigger an attack from where we actually win the ball.

It seems we can only start an attack from the back.

And if that is the case, you need players in the middle who can pass the ball efficiently.

Diallo was giving it away immediately almost everytime he got it and Leicester were nearly scoring everytime.

3 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

Puel was crucified for playing Redmond as a striker. Why is it ok for Ralph to do it?

Im not a huge fan of Adams but before the international break he seemed to find some form so why is he on the bench whilst Redders fucks about?

I'd be furious if I was Adams. He's been our best striker this season.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

Puel was crucified for playing Redmond as a striker. Why is it ok for Ralph to do it?

Im not a huge fan of Adams but before the international break he seemed to find some form so why is he on the bench whilst Redders fucks about?

Ralphs interviews aren’t boring.

We're stifling the game but it's not bad tactic. Leicester not really done anything other than a couple of breaks when we've given the ball away.

Would have been interesting to see what would have happened if we'd gone more attacking. Might have sneaked a goal but could have easily been carved apart.

I'm not displeased at all so far.

Can't believe the unrealistic expectations of some on here.  

Determined performance so far.   Bednarek, who took all manner of unfair heat last few weeks, has been heroic. Vest strong too.  Seems to me JWP Diallo slowly winning more of the midfield.    Could go any way. 

More fun to believe than to moan!!

• Like 2

Mixed bag of emotions still. Finding it hard to think rationally and not as a fan.

I’m utterly bemused by Ralph, his playing philosophy and squad selection. It’s absolutely mortifying that the only players that attempt to play through opposition is our CB’s. Diallo & JWP just recycle possession and do it in some incredibly dangerous scenarios (matched up 3v3 or in an enclosed space). Diallo concentrating on not getting the second yellow.

Redmond picking up spaces in between lines but does it every time with his hips square and back to goal, he either turns and then slows down or then turns and drags his touch sideways. Moussa, is just a rabbit in headlights, his ‘unorthodoxness’ is a sin as much as it is a blessing (he barely looks balanced)

On the other hand, pleased we’ve not conceded but hate the fact we don’t attempt to light up the game, any Leicester attack has been at the fault of our own.

Edited by Monk
  • Like 1

We need a bit more threat up front. Adams is the obvious choice, but we could do with some pace so maybe Tella. Redmond didnt see a lot of the ball but he gave it away badly once and then when the opportunity to break was there he looked like he didn't have the confidence (perhaps in his pace) to go all the way. 

4 minutes ago, Roo1976 said:

If Jankewitz cant get a shot in this game when might he get another go?

Its the FA Cup semi final, so its highly unlikely he's going to feature. Would require Diallo to be stretchered off. If anything is it by some distance the least likely game for him to play in.

Ralph’s plan to contain them in the first half has worked! Just need to switch on the magic now.  Be nice if the ref actually remembered that he can use the yellow card on Leicester players too! Some of their fouls have been cynical attempts to nibble our players - shocking that they’ve not been booked. COYS!

• Like 1

Just now, CB Fry said:

Its the FA Cup semi final, so its highly unlikely he's going to feature. Would require Diallo to be stretchered off. If anything is it by some distance the least likely game for him to play in.

Stephens is a decent DM, apparently.

2 minutes ago, benjii said:

I'd be furious if I was Adams. He's been our best striker this season.

And he’d just had a very good week with Scotland. Must have been buzzing after netting his first international goal, so Ralph benched him to cool off. #ralphlogic

Just now, Lord Duckhunter said:

Only it’s not a tactic. It’s a result of both teams playing shite. We’ve set up and played no differently than we always do. 

Walker Peters is not getting forwards nearly as much as he normally does, and considering he's often the outlet for our attacks I'd say it's a tactic

1 minute ago, NewYorkSaint said:

Can't believe the unrealistic expectations of some on here.  

Determined performance so far.   Bednarek, who took all manner of unfair heat last few weeks, has been heroic. Vest strong too.  Seems to me JWP Diallo slowly winning more of the midfield.    Could go any way. 

More fun to believe than to moan!!

we've kept it reasonably tight, not chased the game too much, but ultimately their front two/three look more dangerous. I think Perez in the hole (their formation really) is a problem for us at times.

Come on Saints, the more we bore them to sleep the more we can take advantage!

Seriously I’m just happy to go in level at halftime. They were the better side.

Please let us go through! Sad Please Please Please GIF by myHQ I don’t care how, just let it happen!

2 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Walker Peters is not getting forwards nearly as much as he normally does, and considering he's often the outlet for our attacks I'd say it's a tactic

our fullbacks staying home perhaps is not a bad thing. We've been too easy to beat and fullbacks bombing on can and has left us exposed at times.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Southampton 0-1 Leicester - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic