Saints 3-1 Palace - Match Thread

Minsk

Good solid win. Could have been more if we had been more clinical with final passes in the final third, but then Forster saved our bacon too. 

After the first 15/20 mins which was passive at best, we were alot more direct at times which was pleasing to see. Good perfomances all over the pitch, particularly Armstrong, JWP, Forster, Ings and Adams. The JWP/Armstrong partnership in the middle is becoming more pleasing each game. Salisu very composed when he came on. Thought Redmond and Taki were very wasteful in possession but thats not surprising.

Definitely think we could pick up another 6/7 points with our remaining fixtures and who knows 12th might still be achievable. Lets finish strong

2 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

Not sure how Minamino stayed on the pitch for 90 minutes

I know I'm in conspiracy territory but it smacks of there being something contractural about it. Was the obvious sub to me. 

Edited by trousers
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

He’s looked the part in a couple of small cameos. Puts himself about a bit, quick and positionally decent. 

Yep, looks up for it. His pace is fantastic. 

Just now, trousers said:

I know I'm in conspiracy territory but it smacks of there being something contractural about it. Was the obvious sub to me. 

Yes this is all I can think of too - we'll end up owing Liverpool more if he doesn't get a certain number of minutes or game or something. No other explanation.

1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

#oneeyed 

Saha didn’t give the penalty, the ref did. 

You chumps are so one eyed it’s ridiculous. Every penalty the opponent cheated, Var is against us, the refs are against us. Jokers 

Pony!

Every game you think it’s cool to play the contrarian. 

• Like 3

Well, I enjoyed that - even though we did make hard work of it for the first hour.

Always good to come back to win after an early goal against, and always good when your 'keeper saves a pen to keep you in the match - well done Fraser.

Two lovely finishes from Danny; nicely worked set piece and knock-in by Che; Armstrong gave another great performance alongside JWP (who also played well) in CM. Thought Redders had a decent match too.

Good game management and spot on subs from Ralph (although I would have liked to have seen Tella replace Taki for the final 10 mins or so). 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd said:

Obafemi.

And if Ings stays, Obafemi will go.

Welcome back Sidney darling. You missed a good game after switching off after 3 minutes...

Edited by trousers
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, trousers said:

I think mini might have been subbed if we hadn't taken of Bednarek andbecause he was always taking Ings off after his layoff Ralf wanted to keep the 3rd one just in case if injury 

Just now, Pamplemousse said:

I actually thought Minamino played well. Final pass was off at times but got into some decent positions and linked up well with KWP. And he was always running.

It was extremely easy for Palace players to outmuscle him off the ball. Same has been the case in a lot of games he has played for us. Tella has been more or a threat to opponents in recent games.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, trousers said:

My thoughts, although he was better than is being made out. He helps the central midfielders more than our other tens and that helped us massively. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Manuel said:

Usual praise for Walker-Peters, Prowse, Ings.  Adams also quality today.  Redmond good.  Salisu good.  Vest good.  

We should look to improve on Minamino and I don't think Theo is the answer.  

Redmond assisted the palace goal and the penalty...

Edited by Saint86

Just now, egg said:

My thoughts, although he was better than is being made out. He helps the central midfielders more than our other tens and that helped us massively. 

I agree. If you watch him, he makes a lot of very good out to in runs (like that he scored against Chelsea). The trouble is, we don’t have anyone good enough to find him. creates a lot of room KWP though.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

I actually thought Minamino played well. Final pass was off at times but got into some decent positions and linked up well with KWP. And he was always running.

Nah, looked like he was trying hard but def didn't play well. Should've set up a 4th in the last couple of minutes but - like you say tbf - his pass was off.

• Like 1

Just now, Harry_SFC said:

Would definitely like to see Salisu replace Bednarek for the last few games. 

I mean quite a lot of people on here have been saying this for a while. It’s amazing Ralph doesn’t see it. And he looks a proper CB to me. Also, please don’t swap McCarthy back in after Forster’s performance tonight Ralph. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, egg said:

I’d go along with this, he was always an option and his movement looked intelligent, even if his own delivery was sometimes wayward. It’s quite easy to see why he was left on. Ings was puffing and needed to come off, we’d already subbed Bednarek and our game plan was, largely, working okay.

For weeks people have been asking to see him given a consistent run of games to prove himself. Where better than in a non-event against Palace.

• Like 2

For the majority of that game that was actually a pretty good performance I felt. I thought we attacked well for the majority of that first half and certainly reacted well to going behind so early. We stuck to the game plan and eventually got our rewards through Ings, probably one of his best finishes this season. Eye of a needle stuff. Palace were still in the game though and I didn't think Bednarek was dealing with Benteke at all, in fact Bednarek was having one of his 'I can't defend' performances so I was glad to see him subbed.

2nd half we started on the front foot, got ourselves an early goal and I thought we'd take it on from there. But credit to Palace, the period between 55-70ish mins was probably their strongest spell. They probed well, stretched our centre backs and were worryingly winning a lot of 50-50's. Our attackers such as Minamino and Redmond were on the periphery of the game and we just couldn't get a break. Couple of really lucky escapes as well, with Jack Stephens moment and an absolutely horrific flap from Forster at one point.

The third goal came because Palace opened the game up, they pretty much removed their midfield and we exploited that space through some clever passing with JWP and Adams - and there's Ings with a goal of a level much higher than anyone else we have. From that point on we just controlled it, Palace had committed to their 'all guns blazing' approach by this point and we just kept picking holes in their midfield. Arguably this was the period where Minamino saw more of the ball as there was more space, but he still disappointingly didn't do a great deal with it.

But overall, that was more like our performances from the first half of the season. Sure, there were some moments where they pegged us back a bit but I thought we saw them out quite well in the 2nd half and took our chances when they came. Important to finish the season strong, let's see where we end up.

• Like 1

Ings and Adams work well in tandem….and this is where Walcott comes in,he plays so much better when those two are on the pitch together. I was hoping he would play tonight once Ings was in the squad. 
he really seems to assist them,which I would like to see more of. 
so I can see why we might keep him. 

• Like 1

When it was announced that Ings was in the starting lineup again, we knew we were going to score. The question was whether our defence could hold up and thanks to Forster it did. His penalty save was the turning point. We are 14th but we should now aim to finish 12th, which would seem like a reasonable end to the season.

My favourite May home game v Palace is still the 6-0 in 1971 (1970-71 being one of my all-time favourite Saints' seasons) but tonight's win is up there as a cause for optimism for next season.

40 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

You're entitled to your opinion, even if it is sh*t 😂. It was like we were playing with 10 men, like we played with 9 men against Leicester. He did improve a bit in the last few minutes but really he is hopeless in this league, thankfully not our player, so I don't feel bad slagging him off.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

32 minutes ago, DT said:

I mean quite a lot of people on here have been saying this for a while. It’s amazing Ralph doesn’t see it. And he looks a proper CB to me. Also, please don’t swap McCarthy back in after Forster’s performance tonight Ralph. 

I don't disagree yet McCarthy had a great game v Leicester and was promptly replaced - likewise Salisu was also excellent in that game yet didn't start tonight.     Credit to Ralph though in making the change at half time - he has often been slow to make a change when needed.

Thoroughly enjoyable game to watch with not a huge premium being put on defence by either side.  Two exquisite finishes from Ings and impressive performances from Armstrong, JWP and KWP.    Redmond not nearly as bad as some are making out and Adams once again proved a good foil for Ings.   No doubt the penalty save by Forster was the catalyst to go on and win the game.    Only negative for me was the underwhelming MInamino - surely he won't be returning to Saints, even if Liverpool were open to it.

Decent performance right across the pitch tonight.  We still look dodgy at the back at times but we got the run of the ball tonight.  Fraser will get plaudits for the pen save, but I was actually more impressed with some of the more unathadox saves that he made with his feet, and punching the ball away.  I've never been a fan and always thought he looked clumsy, but he showed good agility and reflexes tonight. 

It's a no from me on Minamino I'm afraid, he gets into good positions but is far too lightweight and is easily dispossessed. 

Other than that thought they all played well and Ralph got the subs about right.   We will not get by without Danny Ings and Stewart Armstrong will easily win POTS.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pamplemousse said:

We do look so much better with someone like him in the team rather than two out-and-out wingers in the attack-mid positions, even if his own performance wasn’t brilliant. Sometimes it’s not always the best players who make the best team and though he hasn’t set the world alight, I think we work better as a team with him in it.

• Like 2

Well that was a pleasant surprise. Everything I wanted from a Saints team. Resilient, confident on the ball, worked hard for the full 90 minutes and (Danny) took our chances when they came. Thought Salisu looked better than Bednarek when he came on and nice for Jack to get away with his momentary lapse of concentration for once. Minamino flattered to deceive for me, was calling for Theo or Tella to come on and make the most of what was coming his way. Nice to see a Saints keeper stop a penalty for once too. And fair play Ralph, you got this one right. More please!

1 hour ago, hackedoff said:

One drawback on having an improved final few performances is that the board will assume the " blip" is over and not bother to improve the squad for next season.

"We will not forget what problems we have and to try to solve them in the summer - we have a small squad and need more players."

Quote from Ralph on the BBC. I think the club are well aware of what's needed. Whether we have the funds to do it is another question.

Nice to get a 3-1 win! Ings proving his is quality, Che works so well with him. JWP and Armstrong did well and Redders apart from the penalty had one of his better games, had a bit more purpose about him.

Few lapses at the back but with our centre backs that's a given these days. Good chance to get back to back wins as well now to give a really comfortable finish to the end of the season and to show this team can do ok at this level.

Edited by skintsaint

7 hours ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

"We will not forget what problems we have and to try to solve them in the summer - we have a small squad and need more players."

Quote from Ralph on the BBC. I think the club are well aware of what's needed. Whether we have the funds to do it is another question.

Yes,Ralph is well aware of what,s needed in the spending department,unfortunately it's not his call.

8 hours ago, Nordic Saint said:

When it was announced that Ings was in the starting lineup again, we knew we were going to score. The question was whether our defence could hold up and thanks to Forster it did. His penalty save was the turning point. We are 14th but we should now aim to finish 12th, which would seem like a reasonable end to the season.

My favourite May home game v Palace is still the 6-0 in 1971 (1970-71 being one of my all-time favourite Saints' seasons) but tonight's win is up there as a cause for optimism for next season.

i was there, John Jackson their keeper I think. He seemed to crumble with all the insults i was shouting from behind the goa in the Archers I was only 11 ( that was my theory at the time lol )

• Like 1
  • Haha 1