Dele Alli

Saint Scott

5 minutes ago, Saint Scott said:

Feels worthy of its own thread (potentially) and bookies odd have dropped from 20/1 to 5/2

Odds reflect punters reading rumours and placing bets... then the odds shorten. It doesn't mean the bookies know anything about the deal, they are reflecting the actions of punters.

It also snowballs as other people see odds shortening and place bets. Plus news outlets run stories based on shortening odds and people place bets based on that. None of that reflects the bookies knowing anything about any possible deal.

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Can't see it happening, as he'll probably want something more glamorous  (West Ham to stay in London),or go to a club funding a greater % of his wages than we will.

But then again I didn't think it likely that Peter Osgood would sign for us either (Although the salary difference with the big clubs is far wider now of course).

3 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Odds reflect punters reading rumours and placing bets... then the odds shorten. It doesn't mean the bookies know anything about the deal, they are reflecting the actions of punters.

It also snowballs as other people see odds shortening and place bets. Plus news outlets run stories based on shortening odds. None of that reflects the bookies knowing anything about any possible deal.

Granted, but fairly reputable journalists have reported on this in the main. Regardless of your pedanticism, this is a forum for discussing potential signings. Whether Alli is realistic or not is up for discussion

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Badger said:

Can't see it happening, as he'll probably want something more glamorous  (West Ham to stay in London),or go to a club funding a greater % of his wages than we will.

But then again I didn't think it likely that Peter Osgood would sign for us either (Although the salary difference with the big clubs is far wider now of course).

I too feel this thread is a tiny bit premature, but it's not as far fetched as some are saying I don't think.

If you look at the clubs interested in him, they're below us in the league. Everton don't even have a manager, so you can't really call those more glamorous options in the here and now. Financially no one can make any difference to him either way as it's a loan deal, Spurs will decide how they want to play it. He might just want to play football for 6 months in an environment which best suits him and then see what the summer brings in terms of 'bigger' options, as there doesn't seem to be a huge queue of elite clubs for his signature at the moment.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I too feel this thread is a tiny bit premature, but it's not as far fetched as some are saying I don't think.

If you look at the clubs interested in him, they're below us in the league. Everton don't even have a manager, so you can't really call those more glamorous options in the here and now. Financially no one can make any difference to him either way as it's a loan deal, Spurs will decide how they want to play it. He might just want to play football for 6 months in an environment which best suits him and then see what the summer brings in terms of 'bigger' options, as there doesn't seem to be a huge queue of elite clubs for his signature at the moment.

Plus the fact that he might prefer to stay in the south ... easier to get back to the glitzy nightlife in London that he's used to.

1 minute ago, Badger said:

Plus the fact that he might prefer to stay in the south ... easier to get back to the glitzy nightlife in London that he's used to.

3 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

This is very true - Spurs would also want this if they are smart.

There's a few things that make me feel it could be a goer, I guess financially we'll see how Spurs want to play it. He's their asset at the end of the day and they want to protect that and potentially get the most value they can in the summer, if they decide to move him on. Him sitting on his arse for 6 months at Spurs is not good for anyone, so he'll go somewhere in the next week - will be interesting to see how it pans out. 

I mentioned in the other thread that another personal choice from his point of view is that his best mate plays here. I know that's not really important in the world of football transfers generally, but for a 6 month loan deal it may swing it.

25 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

It also snowballs as other people see odds shortening and place bets. Plus news outlets run stories based on shortening odds and people place bets based on that. None of that reflects the bookies knowing anything about any possible deal.

Thanks Stephen Hawking. #knowledge 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

This is very true - Spurs would also want this if they are smart.

Also there is an outside chance of an England call up if he plays well/gets his head down but tbh I can’t see it happening - the loan to us - and as I’ve said on the transfer thread he’s a bit billy big spuds and I’m not sure that’d what we need in the dressing room. Mind you we could get OR to pinch him to bring him down to earth 😉

• Haha 4

42 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Whose he replacing ?

Assume he takes over from Redmond ?

On current form, Redmond and Alli behind Broja and Adams. Stu will fight for the role but he isn't anywhere near his standard of last season at the moment. Tella and Elyounoussi I imagine will also compete and get good minutes off the bench. That's if we sign Alli ofcourse which is rather unlikely. 

It'd make sense all round, as he definitely has something to prove (similar to Lingard at West Ham last year).

He could also play either a similar role to what Redmond had been recently (just off Broja), or potentially as one of the '10s' instead. I do think there's plenty more likely suitors for him though (Newcastle, Everton...).

I guess we don't yet know how the takeover will really affect our ability in the transfer market. It would be a departure from our usual style of buy but, if Ralph thinks he would fit in and he could get him firing again, I think it'd be worth it. Whilst Dragan says he won't be spending £500m on players, it would be nice to think we could fund the right players in terms of wages and eventual transfer fees, if we felt it the right thing to do. It might also send the message we're not quite the debt-ridden paupers we used to be.

Would be an excellent loan and could be just what he needs to get his career back on track. No string attached, just come and play and from Saints perspective we get half a season of a quality player who we would have no chance of signing permanently.

Best pals with KWP too.

That said, we see those links every window, the one with about a week to go that ends with a caveat about us being unlikely to afford the wages. Was the same with Loftus Cheek.

Can’t see the point unless we buy or have the option to buy (personally not convinced by him). If we just took him for a few months on loan all he would do is block the pathway of players like Tella. It’s not as if we need him to save us from relegation or get into Europe 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

That is true on the face of it. 

If people suddenly put £10m on Saints to win the FA Cup, our odds will shorten. Massively. If these people are just mad (and I guess they would be!) then those shortened odds don't mean we actually have a better chance of winning the cup.

But...but...but...by and large people aren't mad. If you think odds shorten and that leads people to place bets on those shortened odds, you could make millions as a bookmaker every day.

Somewhere in the noise, there is often a signal. Not always, but sometimes.

I think it's still unlikely he will come to Saints, but I do think a big shortening of the odds means it's probably more likely than it was.

34 minutes ago, Uncle Albert said:

Hopefully agent KWP can pull some strings

Having read this yesterday am not sure the distraction for KWP would be a good thing.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/inside-dele-allis-tottenham-fall-26030763

Alli’s fitness amid talk about gaming sessions keeping him up into the small hours.

Edited by Give it to Ron

Would be quite excited by this deal if I'm honest. No risk loan deal, possibly with an option in the summer. Goalscoring midfielder that needs to play.

Clearly was a huge talent a few years ago, and probably a change of scenery will do him good. We're not going to buy players like this in form, as they'd cost upwards of £50m, and want to go to a bigger club, so this is the best chance of getting a player of his quality. If we can't get a tune out of him, then we send him back in the summer. 

Still can't see it happening, but who knows...

1 hour ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

image.png.885b623e98cc99b459255a8e325995c2.png
Not mentioned directly here in this from the Mail (via Sky) although we could be "among the clutch", I guess. Surely if Brighton and Burnley are the size of clubs interested, that wouldn't rule us out (if we actually want him)?

Named in today's Telegraph as having shown an interest, Brighton mentioned as "watching the situation". Article also suggests that we would have to cover all his wages of £100k

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

How do you suck eggs?

It's another string our transfer bow. In addition to showing that top academy players have a definite chance of first team football here, we could also attract talented players who are struggling/unwanted at their parent clubs. A win-win. We've seen Lindgard and Coutinho be transformative players. Perhaps it's an area we can do well in too.

5 hours ago, Give it to Ron said:

Having read this yesterday am not sure the distraction for KWP would be a good thing.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/inside-dele-allis-tottenham-fall-26030763

Alli’s fitness amid talk about gaming sessions keeping him up into the small hours.

He's only 25, he deserves another chance wherever that may be.

If there is one player who's struggling for game time at a bigger club I'd like to go for it's Van De Beek.  Apparently Palace interested in a loan and I reckon the sort of goal scoring midfielder we need. 

Dele Alli just doesn't seem to be our sort of signing and with those wages he'd basically be our highest earner or at least joint with JWP, which might upset squad balance.

Can't see it personally. 

He's also been poor for about 2 plus years now, it's not just a spell of bad form, it's a full on regression and slump, and from what I saw in the Spurs all or nothing, there are question marks over his fitness and application in training, that is why Mourinho gave up on him.  Can't see that fitting in very well with Ralph or our squad as a whole, nor does our system really allow passengers, everyone has to be working. 

Brighton seem a better fit, they are less pressing reliant and he could basically be a younger Lallana. 

Edited by tajjuk
  • Like 3

Imo, Ali wouldn’t suit Ralph’s preferred 4222 formation (tbh I think that’s a crap formation anyway), but I think if we played more of a 4411 (as we have done a few times this season now), I think he’d be a very good option in the 10 for us. 

The trouble with Ali, a bit like Ozil towards the end of his time in England, is that he’s not really a midfielder and not really a striker. He’s an attacking 10, who offers little defensively, which makes it very hard to squeeze him into a team. 

Similar in a way to MLT… where would he fit in to a modern side? 

Could see him doing well at Newcastle, under Howe, in the same way that King and Wilson played at bournemouth as a pair, at times. 

All theoretical though, he’s not gonna come here, he’ll end up at Everton or Newcastle. 

I can’t see the advantage of him being here, he has an arrogant air about him that might think us below him which just makes a stink in what seems a nicely bonded dressing room (KWP only had 12 games? for Spurs so was just treading water in a career that hadn’t got off the ground).
If as threads above have said we would be stumping up his £100k wages, why would we want him here to stick in the shop window for Spurs, in return for bobbins or no commission.
He was proper pants when we played them last month, plus his fuse seems pretty short, only the fact he was playing for Spurs held off him going in the book. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Dman said:

Imo, Ali wouldn’t suit Ralph’s preferred 4222 formation (tbh I think that’s a crap formation anyway), but I think if we played more of a 4411 (as we have done a few times this season now), I think he’d be a very good option in the 10 for us. 

The trouble with Ali, a bit like Ozil towards the end of his time in England, is that he’s not really a midfielder and not really a striker. He’s an attacking 10, who offers little defensively, which makes it very hard to squeeze him into a team. 

Similar in a way to MLT… where would he fit in to a modern side? 

Could see him doing well at Newcastle, under Howe, in the same way that King and Wilson played at bournemouth as a pair, at times. 

All theoretical though, he’s not gonna come here, he’ll end up at Everton or Newcastle. 

Oh come on you arent serious surely?

What would be the point? Just because his name has a public recognition factor from once being on television more often, doesn't make him any better than what the club already has.  IF you look at his current standing with his club, rather than what he did in the past, and consider if he plays in a position the club needs to strengthen, this doesn't feeel a likely move.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

Can't see us forking out 100k a week for Alli.

I can only see it if:

1) A more financial powerhouse club doesn’t come in for him.

2) Spurs contribute a % of his wages.

———-
Unlikely on both fronts, IMO. 

Edited by SuperSAINT
  • Like 2