Saints 2-2 Leeds - Match Thread

AlexLaw76

On 09/08/2022 at 13:36, Thereisonlyonemickychannon said:

If we don't win this against an average Leeds side then Ralph has to go

Didn't they beat Wolves at the weekend?

Absolutely no divine right to win this game.

• Like 5

23 hours ago, Dragon_man said:

1 water fountain for 3,000 fans in 30C heat. Very poor.

Couldn't get near the bar to buy a bottle of water/beer at HT and at 2.45pm by the time got to the front of the  queue that crappy new beer machine they have failed. Not sure why everyone raves about the ground. It looks good, but as a fan experience I thought it was poor.

The water situation was ridiculous. Obviously they keep water to a minimum to make you buy their beer, but almost impossible to get served.

Go to America, in older stadiums, and if you want a drink, they'll happily take your dollars a damm sight quicker.

Just part of the usual crappy experience football fans have to put up with. You never get this in Rugby or cricket.

• Like 2

Feels like a massive game this. Come out with pressing, energy and effervescence and the world will be a much happier place. Set out a defensive, rabbit-in-headlights, safety first and things wil turn nasty quick.

Will we play the 'open to offers' guys? Shop window, or will they give a shit? I'm guessing they don't start.

Baz

KWP - ABK - Salisu - Perraud

Romeu - Lav

JWP - Aribo - Stu

AA (prefer Che though)

The kids'll come good. 3-1 Saints. I remain an optimist.

• Like 2

Performance matters more than result here. The worst thing about our recent run is how we have been the worse side in all of them, even where we picked up points.

We lost 3-1 to Everton in the opening game last year, and were pretty bad, but from there very quickly competitive and impressed a lot in our first home game vs utd.

Not overly confident tbh, but this surely gives us much better balance positionally:

Baz

KWP ABK Sali Perraud

Lavia

JWP Romeu

Aribo Che S Armstrong

BUT we havent played with 4 atb all pre -season, i doubt RH ditches 5 this early

14 minutes ago, spyinthesky said:

Can any one remember what it is like to feel the elation of winning a game, comfortably?

Seems like an age ago (Brentford @ home??) that this happened.

That was the last league game I went to. I am going again tomorrow.. fingers crossed

• Like 2

I think we'll start with 3 at the back, and possibly switch it at HT if not working.

-------------------Bazunu

-------------ABK Bednarek Salisu--------------

KWP --------------Lavia----------------Perraud

---------JWP---------------Romeu-------------

--------------------Aribo-------------------------

--------------------Adams

Personally I'd like to see

-------------------Bazunu---------------------

KWP-------ABK-------------Salisu-----Perraud

-----------JWP--------------Lavia-------------

----SArmstrong-----------------------Aribo----

---------Redmond-----------Adams-----------

Edited by Saint Garrett
  • Like 4

From The times this morning,

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/jesse-marsch-confident-high-pressing-leeds-united-can-handle-the-heat-2pngklldd

Jesse Marsch has warned his Leeds United players that he still expects them to implement his high-pressing style when they face Southampton on Saturday, even in temperatures of 30C.

The Premier League has responded to the hot weather forecast this weekend by introducing water breaks in each half — but Marsch insisted that he would not tolerate a drop in effort from his side at St Mary’s Stadium.

One of Marsch’s biggest changes since succeeding Marcelo Bielsa as head coach at Elland Road last season has been the physicality of his side, their press and work without the ball.

Marsch referenced his time in charge at New York Red Bulls, where temperatures would regularly top 90 degrees Fahrenheit (32C), and said that he had methods to cope with the heat that he will be passing on to his players.

“It’s about being aggressive in the right moments,” the 48-year-old said. “One thing about football in the US, or sport in the US in the summer, is it’s hot, it’s always hot. It’s blistering, and so there are things that I’ve learnt about how to handle fatigue and heat, and managing matches that way.

“When I was in New York, the discussion was always, ‘Can you play pressing football in the heat in the summer?’ and actually our record during matches in over 90 degrees or 85, which is like 30 degrees, was really strong.

“It’ll be about managing mentally what the fatigue will be, and then making sure that the players that we bring off the bench will be ready to go.

“I think it’s a moment where five substitutes, if we use them the right way, can be really impactful.”

Marsch confirmed that Leeds, who won their opening game of the campaign, against Wolverhampton Wanderers, are still hunting for a striker, despite Patrick Bamford’s return to fitness. Southampton’s Che Adams, whom Leeds have tracked in the past, is a possible target.

“Obviously, we’ve said for a long time that we’ve been evaluating for the right striker,” Marsch said. “Patrick being fully fit obviously helps us in that area. We also have some flexibility with Rodrigo, who can play there, and Dan [James] can play there at times.

“We have some good young strikers, so we don’t want to suffocate some of the young players having opportunities moving forward.

“[Recruiting] a striker, that’s not so easy. The way that I like to play the game, we ask a lot from the strikers, to work hard, to press, so it’s a very demanding position. We’re trying to find the right one.”

18 hours ago, The Cat said:

Going to be fun in the stands if there's loads of Leeds in the home ends and we go a couple down

As, I believe, that’s against stadium rules then I suggest everyone inundates the club with texts on 60060 to make the gestapo aware and quickly dealt with. Equally when they’re wading into Blocks 1 and 2 they may need to know the Leeds ‘erberts will probably be up to worse behind them.

From tomorrow’s match information on the OS:

MATCHDAY BEHAVIOUR 
If you witness any form of anti-social, abusive or discriminatory behaviour, crime, violence or the use of pyrotechnics, please report it to your nearest steward or police officer. Alternatively, text SFCReport to 60060 with a full description and location of the incident, giving as much detail as you can.

Vigilant fan: Officer! Officer! There’s a bunch of drunken Leeds fans in the boxes
causing trouble and spitting and throwing things at the Saints fans in front of them

Officer Dibble: Thank you for letting us know madam, we’ll deal with it immediately…
…all units to Row MM, pull out all home fans in vicinity, don’t hold back, go-go-go!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alehouseboys said:

As, I believe, that’s against stadium rules then I suggest everyone inundates the club with texts on 60060 to make the gestapo aware and quickly dealt with. Equally when they’re wading into Blocks 1 and 2 they may need to know the Leeds ‘erberts will probably be up to worse behind them.

MATCHDAY BEHAVIOUR 
If you witness any form of anti-social, abusive or discriminatory behaviour, crime, violence or the use of pyrotechnics, please report it to your nearest steward or police officer. Alternatively, text SFCReport to 60060 with a full description and location of the incident, giving as much detail as you can.

They've missed a step out there.... "Get mobile phone network providers to increase bandwidth so that you can actually text during the game"

• Like 2

I think Ralph will  stick with the back 3 as he doesn't seem to have the confidence in any of centre backs to play in a 2

But if that the case he has to set the team up properly in front of them to protect them - and allow our wing backs to get forward

so for me I think it should be 

Bazunu

ABK  Lyanco  Salisu

KWP Romeu Lavia Perraud

Aribo JWP

Adams

but that is really too defensive to play against Leeds at home so it really should be

Bazunu

KWP  ABK  Salisu  Perraud

Romeu  JWP  Lavia

Aribo    Stu

Adams

19 hours ago, Chez said:

Didn't they beat Wolves at the weekend?

Absolutely no divine right to win this game.

This will be tough especially the way Ralph is setting the side up. I don't believe Leeds will be among those fighting relegation but we'll learn quite a lot tomorrow.

4 hours ago, alehouseboys said:

MATCHDAY BEHAVIOUR 

I'm in block 1 tomorrow. Can't wait to be told to sit down by a steward whilst nothing gets said to the Leeds fans. Got a feeling it could turn nasty if things aren't going our way.

6 hours ago, alehouseboys said:

As, I believe, that’s against stadium rules then I suggest everyone inundates the club with texts on 60060 to make the gestapo aware and quickly dealt with. Equally when they’re wading into Blocks 1 and 2 they may need to know the Leeds ‘erberts will probably be up to worse … 

Trouble is though, stewards are only gestapo in dealing with home fans.

For away fans they take on the guise of kindly church wardens showing and watching over the flock in their pews. 

1 hour ago, kwsaint said:

Any idea what the rules on taking water bottles into the stadium will be tomorrow?  Are they still going to insist on taking the lids away?

It’s bloody stupid isn’t it? If you haven’t got a top to put back on you either drink it straight away, keep hold of the bottle so it gets warm in your hand or stick it under your seat for some twat to kick over.

What harm do they seriously think a plastic bottle top will do.

Edited by beatlesaint

1 minute ago, beatlesaint said:

It’s bloody stupid isn’t it? If you haven’t got a top to put back on you either drink it straight away, keep hold of it so it gets warm in your hand or stick it under your sit for some twat to kick over.

What harm do they seriously think a plastic bottle top will do.

Not that I agree but the rational is that a full bottle with a top when thrown at players/fans will do more harm than one without (as some/most of the water will leave the bottle prior to impact and thus cause less injury). Safety rules gone mad like some many other rules

Well, I'll be taking a sports water bottle and would be prepared to escalate it, in a polite middle class way :-), if they try to prevent entry with it, but I'm sure they wont. I shall just claim a medical issue (which is true) and Elf and Safety, with the accent on my health!

12 hours ago, Suhari said:

Feels like a massive game this. Come out with pressing, energy and effervescence and the world will be a much happier place. Set out a defensive, rabbit-in-headlights, safety first and things wil turn nasty quick.

Will we play the 'open to offers' guys? Shop window, or will they give a shit? I'm guessing they don't start.

Baz

KWP - ABK - Salisu - Perraud

Romeu - Lav

JWP - Aribo - Stu

AA (prefer Che though)

The kids'll come good. 3-1 Saints. I remain an optimist.

Would like to see that line-up.

So at the start of the week I said we’d be lucky to draw at best and as we enter match day, I’m still of the same opinion. 😅

All these rumours flying around this week doesn’t help but only adds the pressure to RH and the players.

I think if he reverts to four at the back: 4-4-2/4-2-2-2/4-3-3 then we have a chance. Five at the back and we lose that attacking threat and we sit back to deep and attacking wise we aren’t bad, the problem has always been putting away chances. But our best form of defence is attack so I hope RH plays to our strengths.

1-1, scrappy performance. 😁

Yay, gameday. :mcinnes: That's not a good feeling to have - it should be Yay, gameday! :badger:Surely we have to be better than last week. Judging from the Leeds game they were full of energy and a few of their new signings clicked straight away (namely Aaronson, Adams and Kristensen) but it's still early in the season and judging from their forum they think it will take a few weeks for their signings to properly gel. IF Ralph puts the right team out (the one most of us can see is our best team) we could win this, but I'm not holding my breath. Please no Valery or Armstrong - we have to try ABK and Adams and hope for the best. A draw would be a poor result in what is probably already a 6 pointer but right now I'd take it just to get a point on the board.

I think Ralph will go for (although we know what he's like): Baz, ABK, Bednarek, Salisu, KWP, JWP, Lavia, Romeu, Djenepo, Aribo, Adams. It still doesn't look particularly strong creatively or in attack (perhaps lose Romeu for Armstrong?) but grinding out 1-0 results may be key to our survival this season so if we can keep the defence tight, we could nick it. Still I'm not going to change my earlier prediction - 1-1.

25 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

I can see us winning and then us all describing Leeds as poor.

"Ralph was lucky to come up against a team so off of their game. We didn't play well despite what the 5-0 scoreline suggest. Could have easily gone behind with that big chance early on, if that had gone in we'd have crumbled."

• Haha 4

converting from a defensive formation and plan to a team on the front foot is always going to be tough. We perhaps will play a slightly conservative game to prevent being hit on the break. The heat is not going to support a pressing game. I'm struggling to predict how we will play it.

14 hours ago, kwsaint said:

Any idea what the rules on taking water bottles into the stadium will be tomorrow?  Are they still going to insist on taking the lids away?

Previously we have had no issue taking in a metal bottle flask in - As mentioned already, we also have a little stash of spare bottle tops in the bag that we are willing to sell for a modest £5 each……………well you can charge what you want once through the turnstile.

23 minutes ago, Chez said:

converting from a defensive formation and plan to a team on the front foot is always going to be tough. We perhaps will play a slightly conservative game to prevent being hit on the break. The heat is not going to support a pressing game. I'm struggling to predict how we will play it.

Interestingly the Leeds manager has said they won't change how they play, they will still press aggressively for the match. Jesse Marsch knows how to deal with playing in this heat from his time in America apparently....hope they fall flat on their arses at 60 mins in that case.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 2

Praying for a back 4 today.

3 man midfield could be the answer to some of our defensive woes rather than the extra centre back, but honestly I’d be happy with a 4222 (If we’re fit enough to press in the heat that is)

If the fans get well behind the boys today and Ralph gets it it right tactically, there’s no reason we can’t win, however Leeds seem to be turning into a solid team under Marsch and if we don’t win it won’t be the end of the world as some might make it seem to be.

I’ll go 3-2 saints, Aribo to score

33 minutes ago, Chez said:

Will be interesting to see how both teams approach this as Leeds won't be able to maintain their normal style.

It will be about using the press effectively at the right time and not overdoing it. Saying that we'll probably see a lot of suns to freshen up the teams as that match wears on.

On 09/08/2022 at 13:36, Thereisonlyonemickychannon said:

If we don't win this against an average Leeds side then Ralph has to go

I think Leeds unfortunately will be a better than average this term:   They lost Phillips and Raphina.  Phillips only played 30 games during the previous two seasons through injuries.  Bamford played 6 games last term, thats all. Raphina is a loss of course, however their new purchase Sinistaria looks a handful, he did not play v wolves. They have made six very good acquisitions during the summer (four of which we saw last weeks game v wolves which Aaronson, Roca, Adams and their danish RFB.    Leeds will not be in a relegation battle this term.  Southampton to get a point out of this which will be a good result.

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 2-2 Leeds - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic