Spurs 2-1 Saints - Game thread

AlexLaw76

Genuine question:

As Spurs know they are in the European Super league is there any incentive for them to chase a Europa league qualification position in the league still when they've got no intention of playing in it? 

• Haha 1

It's often said that a working definition of insanity is to carry on doing the same thing and expect a different outcome.

I think that Romeu missing has blown Ralph's 442 out of the window.

THere's no shame in being mre defensive if it gives results, and our attacking high press certainly isnt any more.

IMO its time to go 352 :

Forster 

Salisu Vestergard Bednarek

KWP JWP Armstrong Redmond Bertrand

Che Ings

Would be my prefered team without Romeu. It would partially free JWP from defensive duties and Salisu looks much quicker than most central defenders which would guard against break-aways. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Flick at 25/1 and Bielsa at 33/1 are good shouts there.

apparently all over the Germany role.

Will Saints be wearing the 'no to the ESL' shirts in the warmup you reckon? Or are we one of the secret other clubs looking to secure a berth 🤣🤣

3 hours ago, skintsaint said:

apparently all over the Germany role.

Will Saints be wearing the 'no to the ESL' shirts in the warmup you reckon? Or are we one of the secret other clubs looking to secure a berth 🤣🤣

Knowing our lot it'll probably be more like "dont leave us" or "we love you Spurs, please stay" T-shirts.

As for the team we aint going down, the season is over, so lets give more game time to the likes of Tella, Janetwitz and Salisu. Start them all tonight. We need to do something to shake us out of this pathetic run of form. Shame we dont have another left back to instead of Bertrand. 

• Like 1

Ralph has said there'll be changes. I'd be keen to see Minamino given more of a chance IF there is the opportunity to buy him. He's not particularly strong, but can play the right (pressing style of) football, is skillful and can score goals. Of the others I think only KWP and Armstrong should be guaranteed a place (although understand we might rotate Armstrong).

14 minutes ago, Saint_lambden said:

Am I the only one with all the Super League stuff, nothing else to play for this season, VAR, no fans etc. who couldn't really give a sh*t about this? 

no, I probably won't even watch it now, what's the point?

22 minutes ago, Saint_lambden said:

Am I the only one with all the Super League stuff, nothing else to play for this season, VAR, no fans etc. who couldn't really give a sh*t about this? 

I'll probably watch it, hoping we'll give the superleaguers a bloody nose like Leeds did last night.

Won't be as much fun watching Mason squirm under questioning as it was watching Klopp do so.

Kill two birds with one stone, get Rodgers in and destabilise Leicester like they did with us and Pochettino.

19 hours ago, JRM said:

Genuine question:

As Spurs know they are in the European Super league is there any incentive for them to chase a Europa league qualification position in the league still when they've got no intention of playing in it? 

You can see how highly they value the League Cup as an indicator. They clearly couldn't contemplate a future with Mourinho getting the sack with him claiming immortality as Tottenham's greatest manager since Juande Ramos.

Edited by Ted Bates Statue
  • Haha 1

Ralph might as well mix and match for this one. No point in playing our "strongest team" when clearly it has proven itself to be useless anyway. Salisu deserves a shot at it, probably drop Bednarek, give JWP and Ings a rest, time for the youngsters to be given another chance. We can't win anyway so might as well use the opportunity to plan for next year. 

On 19/04/2021 at 12:01, skintsaint said:

Eh? Didn't he win the league at Chelsea?  Tough crowd on here if that is under the pretty average category 😄

I ought to have specifically said the end of his second tenure then. His management style was already being questioned back then. 

On 19/04/2021 at 11:43, Greenridge said:

Corrected it for you. He's a busted flush. His return to Chelsea, his tenure at Man Utd and now his time at Spurs have all been pretty average at best.

Pretty average? Won the league second time at Chelsea, Finished second, won the Europa league and the league cup at United. 

He’s only average when compared to earlier Jose Mourinho. Fuck me if Poch had that record, the press would be sucking him off. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Pretty average? Won the league second time at Chelsea, Finished second, won the Europa league and the league cup at United. 

He’s only average when compared to earlier Jose Mourinho. Fuck me if Poch had that record, the press would be sucking him off. 

As I clarified earlier I was referring to the later part of his second spell at Chelsea. As for Man I winning the Europa League when they should be competing in the Champions League with the likes of Real rather than teams from the League of Wales then whoopee doo. As many ‘experts’ have since said, his style of management is a thing of the past and he won’t get another top job in the Prem. 

Still, he’s not a patch on Claude that’s for sure. 

11 minutes ago, Greenridge said:

As I clarified earlier I was referring to the later part of his second spell at Chelsea. As for Man U winning the Europa League when they should be competing in the Champions League with the likes of Real rather than teams from the League of Wales then whoopee doo.

So to be a success at Manchester United he needed to have got them to have qualified for the Champions League the season before he got the job? Right you are then.

2 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

So to be a success at Manchester United he needed to have got them to have qualified for the Champions League the season before he got the job? Right you are then.

Even for you that’s a tad obtuse. We are talking the measure of success not the circumstances that led to it. Keep up and try not to change what was  said as per. 

Just now, Greenridge said:

Even for you that’s a tad obtuse. We are talking the measure of success not the circumstances that led to it. Keep up and try not to change what was  said as per. 

Should he have not tried to win the Europa League?

What have Manchester United won since - I believe it is fuck all.

How's that for a "measure of success"?

• Sad 1

Watching the press conferences Ralph was certainly not himself. He looked under pressure to me and damn well should be, until now you could see he felt invincible. I’m not so sure he was as confident today.

I hope he is feeling the pressure because for too long it has been a case of untouchable Ralph and therefore no pressure on the team either, that has to change....

Think this will be 0-5, Son hat-trick and a couple for Bale. We have no hope of containing their pace and they will no doubt be more attacking than the past few months. Once the first goal goes in after, let's say 4 minutes, then our lads will simply give up. I would say give some of the peripheral players a chance but they have shown to be as useless as the others when given a chance in previous games. Not really sure it matters who plays tomorrow, tbh, as they probably don't believe they can win regardless. Normally I believe we always have a chance against Spurs but just can't see anything than further embarrassment in this game.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, LiberalCommunist said:

If Spuds have one eye on the cup final, then I suggest a robust 50/50 in the first couple of minutes, and then chase everything. 

In the words of the great Ronald. 'We are very average if not playing at 100%.'

Lets do tis. 

A robust 50/50??? Haven't seen one of those in.... I don't know how long.... didn't even manage one in the semi final. I agree with the sentiment but aint gonna happen with our snowflakes.

13 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

No doubt it will be the same old same old. Redmond starts, we lack cohesion penetration leadership etc etc, late substitutes etc etc, another loss with mistakes no lessons learnt, same old same old as we all around in ever decreasing circles while going slowly mad. 

That's ok, as long as the boys leave everything on the pitch.

Guessing we won't be wearing those warm up T-shirts now then.

We need to win this, or the pressure will grow and grow, with - yes, really - not enough points yet in the bag. Get some solidity. Be hard to beat. And at least actually go for it up the other end. Redmond out please. Minamino in. 'Rest' Bednarek. Salisu.

Ralph seemed almost defeated at his pre-match comments on the OS. Citing the need for a summer overhaul of his squad, he gave the very firm impression that he doesn't really expect to get the sort of backing in the transfer market that he would like to see. Preparing the ground for an exit? His belief in this team seems to have evaporated. If he is not really up for it any more how does he expect his players to perform tonight? His mood will be infectious so if what we saw in this interview is what is happening at Staplewood then expect a lukewarm response tonight. Oh dear, another heavy defeat on the way.

Edited by Charlie Wayman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, westmidlandsaint said:

I'd like to see Jankewitz & Salisu given a start. I can see Ings rested with Adams coming in. Minamino for Redmond or even Tella. 

Likewise,

But Ralph will stick to his same old formations and players that clearly aren't working then he'll stand there at the end and use some feeble excuse.

Can predict it now:

Forster

KWP, Bednarek, Vestergaard, Bertrand,

Armstrong, JWP, Diallo, NR/TM/MD

Ings, Adams/Walcott.

Sub 1 (~70mins) Walcott/Adams

Sub 2 (~85mins) NR/MD for whichever one didn't start 

Sub 3 (~94mins) Salisu or NR/MD for someone 

1 hour ago, LiberalCommunist said:

If Spuds have one eye on the cup final, then I suggest a robust 50/50 in the first couple of minutes, and then chase everything. 

In the words of the great Ronald. 'We are very average if not playing at 100%.'

Lets do tis. 

Jankewitz to start then?

2 hours ago, simo said:

Adams and Minamino in for Redmo d and Diallo

Only opinion of course but I thought Diallo played ok v Leicester, and certainly no worse than Ward-Prowse.   Would certainly replace Redmond with Adams and Bednarek with Salisu.  Also expect Minamino to get game time even if he is a long shot to be here next season.

31 minutes ago, austsaint said:

Only opinion of course but I thought Diallo played ok v Leicester, and certainly no worse than Ward-Prowse.   Would certainly replace Redmond with Adams and Bednarek with Salisu.  Also expect Minamino to get game time even if he is a long shot to be here next season.

Diallo was shite Sunday .. lightweight as fuck and gave  the ball away and gave Leicester the reign in midfield  he was awful as they all were ..jwp is no  captain so Ralph has to drop 3 or 4 players minimum for me ..let Jankewitz start and tella and Adams and minamino are a dead cert..and if we had a decent LB Bertrand can go on holiday now cos he has been for 2 months !

Edited by Chris cooper

• Lighthouse changed the title to Spurs 2-1 Saints - Game thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic