Aston Villa 1-0 Saints - Match Thread

whelk

1 minute ago, CWD said:

Two teams trying to out-shite each other. A competitions we won. 

We could've played the entire time it takes to wait in The Queue and still not scored.

Forget scoring, we wouldn't have even managed a shot or a pass in the box.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

One of the worst performances over the last 10 years or so.  Pellegrino or Hughes would have been proud of that.  The goalie looks no better than McCarthy, we are awful in attack and most of the new exciting players are sat watching the game.

worst of all, despite the smart arsed comments on, we are still terrible in defence with the continue shipping of terrible goals. 9/10 Transfer window it most certainly was not.

Ralph has had the biggest window compared to any other manager, and nothing has changed what so ever.  I maintain he will be gone by the time football restarts after the world cup.  

Oh, his persistence with Mo is fecking laughable, regardless of the result.

• Like 5

Where on earth do you start with an analysis of how gut wrenchingly poor that tepid performance was from start to finish? Every person, manager, coach or player who contributed should hang their head in shame. Against a poor Villa side we managed the sum total of zero decent attempts on their goal. We lost every battle on the pitch, won precious little second ball and when we did we just gave it straight back to them. It wasn't the 4-0 of last season but must rank as just as bad a performance. Feel sorry for the poor sods who made the trip and were rewarded with that inept pile of shit and now have to make the journey home. They didn't even have to work hard to beat us as we resembled a bunch of strangers who'd never met or kicked a football - if that is the sort of performance our manager and coaches churn out then we must be staring down the barrel this season. There was not a single saving grace. A disgraceful display and nothing positive came out of it.

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, stknowle said:

That was absolutely fucking awful. Indescribably awful. Villa we’re awful, we were beyond awful. Horrific game of football at this level.

I think we can actuality be quite thankful that it was villa.  Any other prem team would've smashed a hatful  past us tonight.  So perhaps we got off lightly...!

• Haha 1

90+ minutes of my life I will never get back (and at my age that hurts). What an abysmal game of football, and what an appalling performance by Saints. Beggars belief how we can be so bad. Hurts to say it but one of the worst offenders was JWP. Really isn't anything positive to say, OK Larios did look good.

• Like 5

I refuse to pay another penny to watch whilst Ralph is still at the club. He's absolutely clueless and I can't afford to keep paying to watch shit like that. 

I'd rather give the money to charity and feel good about it. Watching Saints is just depressing. All that young talent just sat on the bench while the likes of Mo, start every week while he gives us nothing. 

We'll definitely be playing P*mpey next season. 😡

• Like 1

I don't mind losing, we should be used to that. What I do mind though is a lack of intent, a lack of urgency, a lack of leadership, a lack of direction and above all else a lack of desire and commitment. Not one of those players showed any of that in that game. They looked like they couldn't be bothered. It was absolutely unacceptable

• Like 1

Just now, Killers Knee said:

Only a matter of time before our promising youngsters are infected with the crab football disease

Or, it's a matter of time before they start looking like a decent Premier League team. This many new players don't just click instantly in every game. There will be Chelsea games and Villa games along the way.

I don't want to pick on certain players because all of them were crap tonight, but if Elyounoussi is the answer, what the hell is the question? He's a decent squad player but starting ahead of Armstrong, Aribo and Edozie... Seriously? Madness.

And JWP is so passive sometimes. Collect, pass backwards, collect, pass backwards. Lavia's injury, Diallo being questionable and Romeu going have meant he's had to play deeper and he's so much less effective there for me.

• Like 2

Dreadful. Did we actually have a shot? Did their keeper make one save? I don't recall one. I have always been in the "Keep Ralph" camp, because I think stability pays off eventually, but I am seriously thinking his time is now up. I really can't see him taking us any further forward. That performance was on a par with the Pellegrino era. The only bright spark was Larios who didn't look overawed at all. 

At least 5 of that starting X1 aren't good enough. 

Perraud

Diallo

Elyo

Djenepo

A Armstrong

Going to be reliant again on there being a third team worse than us, presuming Bournemouth and Forest will go down. Another 10 games to get through before the January window opens when selling clubs will know how desperate we're likely to be. 

The fact most are clamouring for Larios and Edozie to start at 18 and 19 years old respectively (don't disagree with them) really says a lot for some of the more experienced dross we still have at the club. 

Edited by Saint_lambden
  • Like 2

Sport republic surely aren’t going to accept that. That was a clusterFeck of a performance all over the pitch.

we have better players than last season but it’s the same performance and that sits with Ralph. 

Edited by madge
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Lighthouse said:

Or, it's a matter of time before they start looking like a decent Premier League team. This many new players don't just click instantly in every game. There will be Chelsea games and Villa games along the way.

That Villa performance wasn't down to new players not clicking. ABK was the only new outfield player that started.

• Like 1

Poor performance. Difficult to continue to give Ralph the benefit of the doubt if this is the benchmark for the rest of the season. We obviously missed Lavia, and his natural replacement AMN (who I assume was ill/injured?) 

I'm not quite at the point where I'd be calling for Ralph to go, but, by the same token I wouldn't be disappointed if the owners decided to replace him over the international break. 

3 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I don't mind losing, we should be used to that. What I do mind though is a lack of intent, a lack of urgency, a lack of leadership, a lack of direction and above all else a lack of desire and commitment. Not one of those players showed any of that in that game. They looked like they couldn't be bothered. It was absolutely unacceptable

KWP did he is the only shining star in that embarrassing performance.  Shout out to Salisu and Ketchup who at least showed frustration. 

• Like 2